Brampton woman becomes millionaire after winning lottery

Brampton woman becomes millionaire after winning lottery
Surrey family wins $1M – BC News
A Surrey family who won $1 million from the Lotto Max draw last month plans to invest in real estate and give the rest of the winnings to their children.

“I was thinking if I ever won the lottery I would invest with my kids and get them a townhouse,” Ram Singh said in a statement released by the B.C. Lottery Corporation.

“My wife said ‘we won’ and I went blank,” explained Singh, a business owner who works seven days a week. “It hasn’t hit me yet.”

Singh is described as a “business owner who says he works seven days a week” and is still absorbing the good news. “My wife said ‘we won’ and I went blank. It hasn’t hit me yet.”

The hard-working family is now investing and planning for its future after matching all seven numbers to the Oct. 5, 2018 Lotto Max draw.

Singh and his wife are the 27th Lotto Max Maxmillions winners in B.C. of 2018. Their ticket matched all seven numbers to win on Oct. 5.

British Columbia's political leaders clashed in a debate on electoral reform on Thursday, with Premier John Horgan casting proportional representation as modern and even "hip," while Opposition Leader Andrew Wilkinson insisted the system is too confusing.

The politicians often talked over one another during the heated televised discussion on the province's voting referendum, with Horgan in favour of switching to proportional representation and Wilkinson supporting the current first-past-the-post process.

Voters who mark their referendum ballots in favour of proportional representation must rank three possible systems, and Wilkinson accused Horgan of refusing to answer questions and being dishonest with voters about how the systems would work.

Horgan responded that fear of change appeared to be motivating Wilkinson and opponents of proportional representation, saying the system is used successfully in countries around the world.

The debate was frequently chaotic and Horgan quipped at one point that if it was just going to be two men yelling over one another, then people were likely to change the channel to "Wheel of Fortune."

The New Democrats made electoral reform an election promise in 2017, and holding a referendum was a key part of their agreement with the Green party to take power in the legislature.

Vancouver police have issued a public warning about a high-risk offender moving into the city who was at the centre of a high-profile abduction case in 2011.

Hopley has served his entire six-year sentence for breaking into a home in Sparwood in September 2011 and abducting a three-year-old boy only to return him four days later physically unharmed.

Vancouver police say the Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Hopley as a high risk for violent and sexual re-offending.

A federal parole board ruled last year that Hopley should finish his sentence in jail because he was still likely to harm a child, hadn't participated in rehabilitation programing and wouldn't take part in psychological assessments.

Police say Hopley is bound by a 10-year supervision order in an effort to manage his risks and his conditions including not being in the presence of any child under 16 and abiding by a curfew

Hopley is described as five-foot nine-inches tall, 150 pounds, with brown hair, hazel eyes and he often wears a beard.

Brake failure caused one of the RCMP vehicles to hit the other during the pursuit of a stolen pickup on the Island Highway, Wednesday.

Police surrounded the truck when it stopped at a red light, but as another cruiser moved into position, it slammed into the driver's side door of another police car.

The suspect was arrested, and police found a replica Uzi machine gun, ammo, knives and suspected cocaine in the vehicle.

Oscar Ferdinand Arfmann is charged with first-degree murder following the Nov. 6, 2017, gunfight that followed a truck theft from a Mount Lehman Road business.

Const. John Davidson died in hospital that day after he was shot trying to apprehend the shooter. 

A judge has determined that an RCMP officer who was driving at almost 90 km/h over the speed limit shares most of the blame for a crash that destroyed a Calgary family's camper van.

The B.C. Supreme Court decision says Const. Chad Gorman was going 147 km/h in a 60 zone as he responded to a priority call when he crashed into the van in a Langley intersection in July 2014.

The driver of the van, Shiraz Meghji, his three family members and the officer all walked away from the crash in what Justice Bruce Butler says was a miracle.

Butler says in his decision released this week that the officer should take 80 per cent of the blame for the crash because he was travelling at such a high speed.

Twenty per cent of the blame goes to Meghji because he failed to drive through the intersection with sufficient care, although no damage award has been determined.

The judge says Meghji entered the intersection because he didn't see the officers car as being an immediate hazard.

"I have no hesitation in concluding that Const. Gorman breached the standard of care of a reasonable police officer in travelling on the Fraser Highway at 145 km/h on a weekday afternoon through a commercial and residential zone at a speed that was close to 90 km over the speed limit," the judge says, noting the officer passed a number of intersections without slowing.

Butler says the fact that it was a high priority situation doesn't give the officer the privilege of travelling at a speed that creates an unreasonable risk to the public.

A $1-million Maxmillion prize in the Lotto Max lottery still hasn’t sunk in for a Surrey family.

Ram Singh, a business owner who works seven days a week, and his wife Sushil are still absorbing the news since winning the draw on Oct. 5.

“My wife said ‘we won’ and I went blank. It hasn’t hit me yet,” says Singh.

The family says they plan on investing in real estate and will give the rest of the winnings to their children.

“I was thinking if I ever won the lottery I would invest with my kids and get them a townhouse,” said Ram.

The B.C. government has moved to roll back two health sector laws that resulted in the lay offs of thousands of health-care workers under a former provincial Liberal government.

NDP Health Minister Adrian Dix says the government intends to work with employers, unions and health facility operators to implement a new law that will improve job security and rights for health-sector workers.

Dix says the former Liberal government introduced two laws in 2002 and 2003 that led to the layoffs of more than 8,000 workers and allowed care-home operators to cut or avoid unionized labour costs.

He says B.C. needs to introduce laws that protect and attract health workers to ensure an aging population receives consistent, quality care.

The Hospital Employees' Union says in a statement that repealing the laws is a huge move towards restoring justice and fairness for health-care workers and repairing the damage to health care delivery.

The union says the workers fired were mostly women and their jobs, which included hospital cleaning, food services, laundry and other support services, were contracted out.

Fraser Health has issued a warning about a potential measles outbreak at a Surrey high school. Health officials indicate the potential exposure took place at Fleetwood Park Secondary School between October 30 and November 2, 2018.

Fraser Health is advising that any students who have never received a single dose of the mumps, measles and rubella vaccine – which protects against measles, mumps, and rubella – are being advised to stay away for approximately 21 days.

Students and staff members as well as unvaccinated staff born after January 1, 1970, will not be allowed to return without proof of immunity.

In extreme cases, measles can cause brain damage, deafness and/or convulsions and generally takes between 10 – 21 days to incubate.

Vancouver has suffered their sixth pedestrian fatality of the year after an 83-year-old woman was struck and killed by a pick-up truck on Wednesday.

The incident happened just before 11:30 a.m. on November 7, when the elderly woman was struck while crossing East 30th Avenue along the east side of Main Street.

Vancouver Police indicate a black pick-up truck, making a right turn onto Main Street, struck the woman at a low speed but in spite of best efforts by paramedics, the woman succumbed to her injuries in hospital.

VPD’s Collision Investigation Unit is asking anyone with dash-cam footage, who may have been driving in the area on Wednesday morning, between 11:20 and 11:40 a.m., to contact them at 604-717-3012.

ICBC executives collected huge bonuses last year despite the insurer's "financial dumpster fire."

The Crown corporation lost $3.5 million a day, yet execs received performance bonuses as large as almost $50,000.

ICBC projected a $1.3 billion loss last January, prompting Eby to call the state of affairs at the insurer a dumpster fire.

He blamed distracted driving, alleged overbilling by auto body shops and financial mismanagement by the former BC Liberals for the red ink.

"There are a lot of frustrating things about our insurer that we are slowly fixing, and compensation is one of them," Eby told CTV. 

Despite the big bonuses, executive compensation at ICBC was lower last year than in 2011, following a reduction in the number of senior management positions.

Vancouver transit police say a suspect in custody as an investigation continues into an alleged hate crime against two SkyTrain passengers.

Sgt. Clint Hampton announced the arrest late Wednesday, just hours after an appeal was issued for information that could help identify a man pictured leaving a SkyTrain on Sept. 28 at the conclusion of a violent attack.

Transit police say the man is wanted for questioning after two men were attacked as they boarded a train in downtown Vancouver.

As the train moved between stations, one of the victims was kicked, the other was hit in the face and homophobic insults and obscenities were directed at both.

The suspect left the train at the next stop but the transit police news release says he spat in one victim's face and tried to kick the other in the stomach as he departed.

Hampton says no further information will be released now that an arrest has been made but police want to speak to any other witnesses, including the unidentified SkyTrain passenger who pulled the suspect away from one of the victims while the assault was underway.

While the lifts won't start spinning at the local ski resorts for a couple weeks still, snow is starting to pile up at higher elevations, increasing the risk of avalanches.

In parts of the province's Southern Interior, upwards of a metre of snow has fallen in areas above 2,000 metres elevation over the past week.

James Floyer, avalanche forecaster with Avalanche Canada, says at this point in the season before the snow pack is really developed, the avalanche risk is tied to storms.

“If we do go into another period of stormy weather, I'd certainly recommend being mindful, if you are thinking of getting after that early season snow, of avalanches certainly during the storm and 24 to 48 hours after the storm,” Floyer said. “Those aren't the times to go and ride the steep aggressive lines.”

East of Revelstoke in Rogers Pass, one of the province's most popular backcountry skiing destinations, upwards of 70 centimetres has fallen in the past three days, doubling the existing snowpack. Parks Canada warns this new snow could take several days to stabilize, and the avalanche danger in the area is currently rated considerable. 

While the skies are expected to be relatively clear through most of this week, snow is forecast to fall in Rogers Pass again on Friday.

"If you're going out at this time of the year, there's not very much information available," Floyer said. "People going out at this time will need the skills to be able to make an assessment of whether or not it's appropriate to ski or board or ride on a slope."

Floyer says while being aware of avalanche hazards is important, early season skiing and boarding carries its own particular set of dangers.

“It's easy to go out and hit something that's buried a little way under the snow,” he said. “I suspect there are highly variable snow conditions out there, open creeks, stumps, trees. All of those kind of hazards are probably your number one concern at this time.”

Big White and Silver Star are scheduled to open their alpine terrain on Nov. 22, while farther south, Apex plans to open Dec. 8.