Update: Man dies despite dramatic rescue by Burnaby firefighters

 A 55-year-old man caught in a Burnaby house fire on Halloween night died in hospital early Thursday morning despite dramatic attempts by local firefighters to save him.

  Crews responded to calls of smoke coming from a single-storey duplex at 8166 16th Ave. at about 5:30 p.m., according to assistant fire Chief Barry Mawhinney

Conservative MP Tony Clement said he has been targeted by an extortionist after sharing sexually explicit images and a video of himself to someone he says he believed was a consenting female recipient. 1

  Hearing from neighbours that the unit was usually occupied, firefighters plunged into thick black smoke to search the unit.

The other unit of the duplex is home to a family of five, who have been displaced, at least for the time being. One witness, Julie Brown, told CTV News the family hasnt been in the neighbourhood long.

  The patient was found not far from the front door. He was severely burnt and had no pulse, and CPR protocol was initiated, Mawhinney said.

  Firefighters revived him, but the man succumbed to his injuries in the early hours of Thursday morning, according to Burnaby RCMP.

Crews entered the home and found a 55-year-old man passed out on the floor. They carried him onto the lawn, where they immediately began first aid.

  The fire is being investigated, but it isnt being deemed suspicious, and fire officials dont believe it was related to Halloween fireworks.

  A family of five was displaced from the other half of the duplex, he said, but that unit sustained little damage.

Before fighters reached the scene, one man tried to rush into the home on his own, only to be thwarted by the smoke pouring from the property.

"A neighbour had kicked the door in," Asst. Fire Chief Stew Colbourne told CTV. "But with the heavy smoke, they couldn't enter."

The fire broke out at a duplex on 16th Avenue near 1st Street around 5:30 p.m., just as trick-or-treaters were heading out in their costumes.

Firefighters found the man unconscious on the floor and carried him outside, where they performed first aid.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but its believed to have been sparked in the front of the home, near the living room.