Edmonton man possibly under cannabis-induced psychosis the night he killed his mother: assessment – CTV News

Edmonton man possibly under \cannabis-induced psychosis\ the night he killed his mother: assessment - CTV News
Edmonton man who killed his mother experienced acute cannabis-induced psychosis: court documents
An Edmonton man who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of his mother may have been experiencing a "cannabis-induced" psychotic episode the night of the killing, court documents revealed Monday.

Jason Glenn Dickout was scheduled to be sentenced Monday in the death of 53-year-old Kathy Dickout, whose body was found with stab wounds in her home on April 17, 2017.

About two hours later, the court document said, Ashley frantically called 911 to report she had just seen her brother, screaming at the top of his lungs, repeatedly stab their mother in the neck with a a six-inch knife taken from the butcher block.

According to an agreed statement of facts, the 33-year-old man had visited his parents for Easter that night, and smoked dried marijuana with his sister.

He later began screaming, making animalistic noises, talking nonsensically, and "exhibiting signs of erratic and anxious behavior."

He also took one millimeter of cannabis oil preparation from his sister, who said she thought it would help calm him down. It was, by Dickouts account, the first time he had consumed cannabis oil.

Just after midnight, the sister called 911 and told the operator Dickout had stabbed their mother repeatedly and that he was "screaming at the top of his lungs like a crazy person."

Janice Johnston is an award-winning journalist in Edmonton who has covered the courts and crime for more than two decades. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @cbcjanjohnston

When police arrived, officers noted Dickout could be heard intermittently screaming and laughing hysterically from inside the house.

He was found naked below the waist, while his mother was found dead in the kitchen, laying in a pool of blood. A six-inch kitchen knife was found beside her, along with a pair of mens pajamas.

Dickout was certified under the Mental Health Act and was transferred to Alberta Hospital. Doctors noted his self-induced psychosis was temporary and the symptoms faded after a couple of days. 

As Dickout was being taken into custody, he reportedly continued to act erratically and say things like, "This was all for a laugh," "Call 911," and "This is no joke."

Hours later, at police headquarters, he told officers: "I killed my mom. She was so beautiful. She was always thinking of me. My mom deserves to live." 

He was sedated to be taken to hospital, and later during a transfer to Edmonton Police Service, officers said he continued to act strangely.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

"I killed my mom," he told officers. "She was so beautiful. She was always thinking of me. Im her son. She loves her son. Why?"

And, while staring at one police member, Dickout is said to have screamed, "Mom, is that you? Sorry, Mom. Im so sorry, Mom."

An autopsy says Kathy Dickout sustained six stab wounds and six cuts, which may have been defensive.

Two doctors who assessed her son said they believed at the time of the killing, Jason Dickout was "experiencing an acute cannabis-induced psychosis which was both self-induced and transient."

Additional assessments of Dickout were requested to determine whether he was suffering from a mental disorder.

Court heard there are currently only three doctors who can conduct such assessments, and their capacity is about a dozen files per month.

When police arrived, Dickout was naked from the waist down and had blood on his face, his T-shirt and his bare feet.

Traffic is being rerouted in the area of Highway 43 and Highway 2 in Grande Prairie after a single-vehicle crash Monday afternoon.

At one point, he stared at a male detective and shouted, "Mom is that you? I'm sorry mom!"

Court documents suggest a man who stabbed his mother to death in their kitchen was experiencing acute cannabis-induced psychosis.

Jason Glenn Dickout was 30 when he killed his mother, Kathy. He has pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the April 17, 2017 killing.

READ MORE: 53-year-old woman found dead in northeast Edmonton home, homicide detectives investigating

An agreed statement of facts introduced in his case says Dickout and his sister smoked marijuana at 8:30 p.m. on April 16. He took two puffs while his mother was out shopping for groceries.

Kathy Dickout returned home at about 10:30 p.m. and Jason helped her unpack the groceries. Shortly after that, court documents say he started “screaming in a manner similar to experiencing night terrors, exhibiting signs of erratic and anxious behavior, making other animalistic noises and talking nonsensically.”

At 12:26 the next morning, Dickout’s sister called 911. She had fled the home and told officers Jason had stabbed their mother and appeared to have suffered a psychotic break. She said Jason was screaming “like a crazy person.”

Police arrived and found Jason Dickout naked from the waist down. Blood droplets were on his face and T-shirt and his bare feet were smeared with blood.

As police gave him directions, court documents say he retreated back into the home and laughed hysterically.

Police later found Kathy Dickout lying on the kitchen floor with a large amount of blood around her head and torso. A six-inch kitchen knife laid next to her.

Kathy had been stabbed six times and suffered six more knife wounds. The medical examiner determined the cut that killed her severed her jugular vein and carotid artery.

As police took Jason Dickout into custody he was heard shouting: “This was all for a laugh,” and “I killed my mom. She was beautiful. She was always thinking of me. I’m her son. She loves her son. Why?

“At one point, he stared straight at Det. Andrew Larson and began yelling, ‘Mom, is that you? Sorry Mom. I’m sorry, Mom!”

Two doctors examined Dickout at Alberta Hospital to see if mental illness played a role in the killing. They both determined Dickout “experienced acute cannabis-induced psychosis, which was both self-induced and transient with the symptoms, with the symptoms abating within a couple of days.”

Sentencing for Dickout’s manslaughter conviction was supposed to begin on Monday. That sentencing hearing will now not be heard until the new year.

Last November, the court had ordered another assessment of the accused. That assessment has yet to be completed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.