Edmonton man stabbed mother to death in cannabis-induced psychosis, court told – CBC.ca

Edmonton man stabbed mother to death in \cannabis-induced psychosis,\ court told - CBC.ca
Edmonton man who killed his mother experienced acute cannabis-induced psychosis: court documents
Jason Dickout was likely experiencing acute cannabis-induced psychosis the day he stabbed his mother to death in her own kitchen, psychiatrists say.

Originally charged with second-degree murder, Dickout pleaded guilty last November to manslaughter. 

A sentencing hearing was scheduled to begin Monday, but Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench Justice Vital Ouellette was told a forensic assessment ordered last November won't be completed until the end of this year, due to a clerical error.

Additional assessments of Dickout were requested to determine whether he was suffering from a mental disorder, but they hadnt been completed, so the sentencing was delayed.

"I'm not happy about it, because Mr. Dickout is in custody," defence lawyer Graham Johnson told the court. "It's been almost a year since the guilty plea was entered."

When police responded to the 911 call at the home, officers found Dickout naked below the waist, while his mother was found dead in the kitchen laying in a pool of blood.

Johnson said assessments done shortly after Dickout's arrest indicated possible underlying mental health issues. For that reason, the defence was willing to wait for a more complete forensic assessment to be done.

Court documents show that two doctors who assessed an Edmonton man after he killed his mother said they believed he was experiencing an acute cannabis-induced psychosis.

Dickout spent Easter weekend in April 2017 at his parents' house in northeast Edmonton, according to an agreed statement of facts.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to [email protected] Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

On Monday evening, after his father left for work and his mother went to buy groceries, Dickout "smoked two inhalations of dried marijuana" with his sister, Ashley, the court document said. 

He almost immediately began "exhibiting signs of erratic and anxious behaviour, making other animalistic noises and talking nonsensically."

Just after midnight, the sister called 911 and told the operator Dickout had stabbed their mother repeatedly and that he was screaming like a crazy person.

About two hours later, the court document said, Ashley frantically called 911 to report she had just seen her brother, screaming at the top of his lungs, repeatedly stab their mother in the neck with a a six-inch knife taken from the butcher block.

He later began screaming and exhibiting erratic and anxious behaviour, so his sister gave him some cannabis oil in the hopes it would calm him down.

When police arrived, Dickout was naked from the waist down and had blood on his face, his T-shirt and his bare feet.

Kathy Dickout, 53, was already dead. The knife wounds had severed her jugular vein and carotid artery.

Court heard there are only three doctors who can conduct such assessments, and their capacity is about a dozen files per month.

Blood had pooled around her head and body. A knife covered in blood and a pair of men's pyjama bottoms lay on the floor beside her.

Hours later, at police headquarters, he told officers: "I killed my mom. She was so beautiful. She was always thinking of me. My mom deserves to live." 

At one point, he stared at a male detective and shouted, "Mom is that you? I'm sorry mom!"

Dickout was certified under the Mental Health Act and was transferred to Alberta Hospital. Doctors noted his self-induced psychosis was temporary and the symptoms faded after a couple of days. 

He remains in custody at the Edmonton Remand Centre. A sentencing hearing likely won't be held until early next year.

Janice Johnston is an award-winning journalist in Edmonton who has covered the courts and crime for more than two decades. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @cbcjanjohnston

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

Court documents suggest a man who stabbed his mother to death in their kitchen was experiencing acute cannabis-induced psychosis.

Jason Glenn Dickout was 30 when he killed his mother, Kathy. He has pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the April 17, 2017 killing.

READ MORE: 53-year-old woman found dead in northeast Edmonton home, homicide detectives investigating

An agreed statement of facts introduced in his case says Dickout and his sister smoked marijuana at 8:30 p.m. on April 16. He took two puffs while his mother was out shopping for groceries.

Kathy Dickout returned home at about 10:30 p.m. and Jason helped her unpack the groceries. Shortly after that, court documents say he started “screaming in a manner similar to experiencing night terrors, exhibiting signs of erratic and anxious behavior, making other animalistic noises and talking nonsensically.”

At 12:26 the next morning, Dickout’s sister called 911. She had fled the home and told officers Jason had stabbed their mother and appeared to have suffered a psychotic break. She said Jason was screaming “like a crazy person.”

Police arrived and found Jason Dickout naked from the waist down. Blood droplets were on his face and T-shirt and his bare feet were smeared with blood.

As police gave him directions, court documents say he retreated back into the home and laughed hysterically.

Police later found Kathy Dickout lying on the kitchen floor with a large amount of blood around her head and torso. A six-inch kitchen knife laid next to her.

Kathy had been stabbed six times and suffered six more knife wounds. The medical examiner determined the cut that killed her severed her jugular vein and carotid artery.

As police took Jason Dickout into custody he was heard shouting: “This was all for a laugh,” and “I killed my mom. She was beautiful. She was always thinking of me. I’m her son. She loves her son. Why?

“At one point, he stared straight at Det. Andrew Larson and began yelling, ‘Mom, is that you? Sorry Mom. I’m sorry, Mom!”

Two doctors examined Dickout at Alberta Hospital to see if mental illness played a role in the killing. They both determined Dickout “experienced acute cannabis-induced psychosis, which was both self-induced and transient with the symptoms, with the symptoms abating within a couple of days.”

Sentencing for Dickout’s manslaughter conviction was supposed to begin on Monday. That sentencing hearing will now not be heard until the new year.

Last November, the court had ordered another assessment of the accused. That assessment has yet to be completed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.