Unconscious man rescued from burning apartment in Gatineau

Unconscious man rescued from burning apartment in Gatineau
Gatineau fire crews make quick work of apartment fire
One man was taken to hospital Wednesday after Gatineau firefighters found him unconscious on the floor of an apartment and rescued him from the smoke and flames.

Ten trucks and more than two dozen firefighters responded to an alarm at 150 Gréber Blvd. near Les Promenades mall in Gatineau around 2:15 p.m.

According to the fire service, they arrived to find smoke on the ground floor coming from apartment D-101 in the four-storey building. The unconscious man was located inside and firefighters took him outside the building, where he regained consciousness. They provided first aid until an ambulance took the man to hospital.

They praised the properly-functioning fire alarm system for preventing harm to other building residents, who were all evacuated safely.

No serious injuries, but damage estimated at $32,000 in a Wednesday afternoon apartment fire in Gatineau.

Fire fighters were called to the scene at a low-rise apartment building on Gréber Boulevard, and spotted what appeared to be smoke coming from a unit on the ground floor.

Crews found an unconscious man inside, and carried him to safety, where he was transported to hospital.

Fire officials say properly working alarm systems in the building were a factor in limiting the damage and saving the building's residents.