Father of slain 7-year-old Quebec girl gets bail pending his trial – GuelphToday

Father of slain 7-year-old Quebec girl gets bail pending his trial - GuelphToday
Father of slain 7-year-old Quebec girl gets bail pending his trial
GRANBY — The father of the 7-year-old Granby girl who died on April 30 after being found at home in troubling circumstances was released Thursday, but will have to meet several conditions.

His lawyer presented new evidence in a bid to have him released. Quebec Superior Court Judge Gaétan Dumas agreed to release the accused, but ordered him to remain at a specific place, to abide by a curfew and to report to the police every week.

The man is also prohibited from using alcohol or drugs and possessing firearms. He will not be able to communicate with anyone involved in the case.

The man, 30, is accused of criminal negligence causing death, forcible confinement, failing to provide the necessities of life and child abandonment.

The girl died in a hospital after being found injured at the family’s home in Granby. Her death triggered a shock wave in Quebec and led to the creation of a special commission tasked with examining the youth protection system in the province.

A publication ban was ordered, meaning the victim and the accused cannot be named and the matters discussed in court cannot be shared.

Defence lawyer Martin Latour said he was “satisfied that the presumption of innocence prevailed” along with the rule that anyone presumed innocent “has the right to be free.”

Crown attorney Claude Robitaille said he was “disappointed,” but he respects the court’s decision.

GRANBY, Que. — The father of a slain 7-year-old Quebec girl at the centre of an alleged case of neglect has been granted bail by a judge.

The evidence heard at his bail hearing today was under a publication ban, but at its conclusion a Quebec Superior Court justice agreed the 30-year-old man should be freed pending the outcome of his case.

The girl was found in critical condition in her family home in Granby, about 80 kilometres east of Montreal, on April 29 and died a day later in hospital.

The young girls father faces four charges: criminal negligence causing death, unlawful confinement, failing to provide the necessities of life, and child abandonment.

The victims stepmother faces one count of second-degree murder, unlawful confinement and aggravated assault.

The young victims death sparked outrage in the community and raised questions about the effectiveness of the provinces youth protection system, triggering a number of probes ordered by the Quebec government.

The man was released on several conditions, and defence lawyer Martin Latour told reporters at the courthouse he was satisfied the presumption of innocence was respected.

Crown prosecutor Claude Robitaille, who had opposed bail for the accused, said he was disappointed but respects the decision of the court.

He was satisfied with the conditions — including living at a specific address, respecting a curfew, reporting to police weekly, abstaining from consuming alcohol or drugs and not possessing any weapons.