Police remain at Sudbury school after social media threat – CBC.ca

Police remain at Sudbury school after social media threat - CBC.ca
Sudbury police arrest 18-year-old following school shooting threat investigation
There will be an increased police presence at a Sudbury school after threats were posted on social media.

On Tuesday, police arrested 18-year-old Zachary Pilon and charged him with criminal harassment and uttering threats.

Earlier that day, a staff member from College Notre-Dame had contacted police after seeing a threat aimed at the school posted on social media.

The post was uploaded under account “sch00lsh00ter767”, pictured firearms and “made reference to a school shooting at the local secondary school,” police said in a release.

The post showed a firearm and made reference to a school shooting. It was under the account name "sch00lsh00ter."

Police say they have determined that no other people are involved and that the image of the firearm was a stock photo from the internet.

Police say officers will also be at the school over the next couple of days and that additional resources will be available to students.

On Tuesday the police service arrested and charged Zachary Pilon, 18, with criminal harassment and uttering threats, in regard to menacing social media posts directed at College Notre-Dame.

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

Greater Sudbury Police investigated an anonymous threat of a school shooting at College Notre-Dame, made on Instagram Tuesday afternoon.

Police said officers would be on hand at the school Wednesday “in order to speak with students and staff.”

The post, which has now been deleted, said the attack would take place Friday. Another account reportedly posted a 'kill list,' detailing the students and grades allegedly to be targeted. The list includes about 40 names.

Pilon was expected to appear in bail court Wednesday afternoon but it was not known if he would have a bail hearing.

Around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, detectives from Greater Sudbury Police's Criminal Investigations Division and Intelligence Unit, with help from members of the Tactical Unit, arrested an 18-year old man from Greater Sudbury in relation to a threatening instagram post.

Greater Sudbury Police say that through an investigation, they've determined that the 18-year-old man acted alone in a threat of violence against Collège Notre-Dame posted on Instagram.

That came after a staff member at College Notre-Dame reported the threatening Instagram post at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

“Through the investigation it has been determined that no other individuals were involved in this matter,” said a press release issued by Greater Sudbury Police Wednesday morning.

Officers will be attending Collège Notre-Dame today (March 20) to speak with students and staff.

There will be an increased police presence at Collège Notre-Dame over the next couple of days and additional resources will be available for students, said police.

The suspect, who was charged yesterday with criminal harassment and uttering threats, is in bail court today.