Hamilton police investigate citys fifth homicide of the year – CHCH News

Hamilton police investigate city\s fifth homicide of the year - CHCH News
Raptors fan stabbed to death after leaving viewing party at Sherman Avenue North home
A man was fatally stabbed in central Hamilton early Friday while he was out celebrating the Toronto Raptors' game one win of the NBA finals, police say.

But it wasn't an incident borne out of overzealous partying, according to detectives — instead, it was a quick confrontation about a woman who was also there to watch the game.

This male confronted the group over a female who was partying with them and all of a sudden produced a knife and stabbed a 23-year-old male who was part of the group, Thom told reporters on Friday morning. After the stabbing the male suspect fled on foot towards a waiting car near Princess Street and Sherman Avenue. The victim ended up southbound on Sherman Avenue, turned into an alleyway and collapsed in the alleyway.

Late Friday afternoon, police also issued an arrest warrant for first degree murder for 20-year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte, in connection with the killing. 

The car that the suspect fled the scene in has already been located, however Thom said that its driver and registered owner was not directly involved in the altercation. He was taken into custody on unrelated charges, Thom said.

Investigators first got a 911 call around 12:30 a.m. about a stabbing in the area of Sherman Avenue and Barton Street East.

"There was a group of individuals who had been celebrating the Raptors victory come out of a nearby residence," Det. Sgt. Peter Thom told reporters at the scene Friday morning. "They were standing on the street, having a little celebration."

Det. Sgt. Peter Thom said that an unknown number of individuals were in a residence in the area watching the game but went outside and began having an impromptu celebration in the street after the final buzzer.

"This male confronted the group over a female who was partying with them, and all of a sudden produced a knife and stabbed a 23-year-old male who was part of the group," he said.

Police have identified both the victim and the alleged perpetrator of a fatal stabbing that occurred as a group of friends took over a Hamilton street to celebrate the Raptors win in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

After the stabbing, the suspect then ran off back towards the car, which was waiting in the area of Princess Street and Sherman Avenue North, Thom said.

The victim's friends chased after him, while the victim staggered south on Sherman. He turned into an alleyway just north of Barton Street where he collapsed, Thom said.

Thom said that the suspect did know some of the members of the group but is not believed to have had a prior relationship with the victim.

By the time the victim's friends got back to where the stabbing happened, the man was nowhere to be found.

Officers arrived and started questioning the group about what happened, and then searched the area. They found the man lying in the alley, suffering from a "fairly significant" stab wound to the upper body, Thom said.

Officers attempted CPR at the scene, and when paramedics arrived, the man was rushed to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The victim was not known to police, Thom added. He is Hamilton's fifth homicide victim of the year.

Thom said he couldn't get into details of the relationship between the woman and either the attacker or the victim.

An arrest warrant for first degree murder has been issued for Dylon Duarte of Hamilton. Police say if you see Dylon call 911, do not approach him he is considered armed and dangerous.

Thom said the person driving it was "not directly involved in the altercation," but he was nonetheless arrested on "unrelated matters."

"We've been very busy over the last several hours trying to collect evidence," Thom said.

Tyquan was stabbed in the upper chest, he did not know the attacker, who ran to the parked Jetta and took off north on Sherman Ave.

Police are looking for the public's help in locating Duarte, but cautioned in a press release that "members of the public should not approach him themselves as he is still considered armed and dangerous."

Police say 20 year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte was upset over a woman and didn’t appreciate her hanging out with this group.

Investigators were also pointed in their release to "remind friends, family and associates" that it would be a criminal offence to help him evade arrest and could result in charges.

A 23-year-old Raptors fan was killed Thursday night while celebrating the basketball win in the city’s north end.

Adam Carter is a Newfoundlander who now calls Hamilton home. He enjoys a good story and playing loud music in dank bars. You can follow him on Twitter @AdamCarterCBC or drop him an email at [email protected]

A 23-year-old Hamilton man, Tyquan Brown, is dead after being stabbed leaving a home where he had been watching the Raptors game Thursday night.

An arrest warrant for first-degree murder was issued Friday for 20-year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte of Hamilton. Police ask anyone who sees Duarte to call 911, but not approach him themselves.

Police seized a knife along with a Volkswagen Jetta near Ferrie Street West near Bayfront Park. However, its not yet known if the knife was involved in the murder.

Brown was among a group of less than a dozen people who had gathered at an apartment in a home on the northeast coroner of Sherman Avenue North and Case Street, one block north of Barton Street East.

As the group were leaving, the red Jetta pulled up and a man who was a passenger got out and confronted a woman in the group, said Det. Sgt. Peter Thom, of the major crime unit.

Witnesses said the man did not like that the woman was with the group, and that he pulled out a knife and then stabbed Brown.

There does not appear to be any reason why Brown was the one targeted, Thom said. He was not previously known to police.

In the chaos of the moment, the attacker ran north on Sherman toward Princess Street and the group who had been watching the Raptors game gave chase. The man, described only as a white man with dark clothing, got into the Jetta and it drove away.

When the witnesses returned to the apartment they didnt know where Brown was and the first police on scene — around 12:20 a.m. Friday — followed a blood trail and found him in the alleyway.

Hed suffered a serious stab wound to his upper body. Officers conducted CPR until paramedics arrived. Brown was transported to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

On Friday morning, a trail of blood drops marked by a dozen green evidence marker tags could be seen beginning outside a home, heading south and then east down the alleyway that runs east-west, just north of Barton.

Police recovered the Jetta and the driver of the car was arrested and charged with unrelated offences. He is not facing any charges related to the homicide.

Neighbours said there was a \”party\” at the apartment Thursday night. Before midnight they heard the argument outside.

Sue, who declined to give her last name, said she lives in the back unit in the same home and said there had been problems in that apartment before, including windows being smashed.

Many in the neighbourhood said it was a quiet night until they noticed the sirens around midnight. There are no businesses open in the immediate area where the homicide happened. A convenience store on the corner of Barton and Sherman closes at 9 p.m.

At the scene Friday morning, Sherman Avenue from Barton to Princess Street remained closed, with the alleyway also blocked off.

Investigators say witnesses are co-operating but they are seeking surveillance footage and canvassing the area to determine if anyone else saw something. They remind the public that it is a criminal offence to assist the suspect.

The area is has seen other violent crimes. The scene is near where Marley Rowe, a 23-year-old father was killed in 2014.