UPDATE: Warrant issued for suspect in Hamiltons fifth homicide of the year – TheSpec.com

UPDATE: Warrant issued for suspect in Hamilton\s fifth homicide of the year - TheSpec.com
Man fatally stabbed as group celebrated Raptors win in Hamilton street
A man was fatally stabbed in central Hamilton early Friday while he was out celebrating the Toronto Raptors' game one win of the NBA finals, police say.

But it wasn't an incident borne out of overzealous partying, according to detectives — instead, it was a quick confrontation about a woman who was also there to watch the game.

Many in the neighbourhood said it was a quiet night until they noticed the sirens around midnight. There are no businesses open in the immediate area where the homicide happened. A convenience store on the corner of Barton and Sherman closes at 9 p.m.

Late Friday afternoon, police also issued an arrest warrant for first degree murder for 20-year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte, in connection with the killing. 

In the chaos of the moment, the attacker ran north on Sherman toward Princess Street and the group who had been watching the Raptors game gave chase. The man, described only as a white man with dark clothing, got into the Jetta and it drove away.

Investigators first got a 911 call around 12:30 a.m. about a stabbing in the area of Sherman Avenue and Barton Street East.

Investigators say witnesses are co-operating but they are seeking surveillance footage and canvassing the area to determine if anyone else saw something. They remind the public that it is a criminal offence to assist the suspect.

"There was a group of individuals who had been celebrating the Raptors victory come out of a nearby residence," Det. Sgt. Peter Thom told reporters at the scene Friday morning. "They were standing on the street, having a little celebration."

"This male confronted the group over a female who was partying with them, and all of a sudden produced a knife and stabbed a 23-year-old male who was part of the group," he said.

After the stabbing, the suspect then ran off back towards the car, which was waiting in the area of Princess Street and Sherman Avenue North, Thom said.

Brown was among a group of less than a dozen people who had gathered at an apartment in a home on the northeast coroner of Sherman Avenue North and Case Street, one block north of Barton Street East.

The victim's friends chased after him, while the victim staggered south on Sherman. He turned into an alleyway just north of Barton Street where he collapsed, Thom said.

An arrest warrant for first-degree murder was issued Friday for 20-year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte of Hamilton. Police ask anyone who sees Duarte to call 911, but not approach him themselves.

By the time the victim's friends got back to where the stabbing happened, the man was nowhere to be found.

Officers arrived and started questioning the group about what happened, and then searched the area. They found the man lying in the alley, suffering from a "fairly significant" stab wound to the upper body, Thom said.

Sue, who declined to give her last name, said she lives in the back unit in the same home and said there had been problems in that apartment before, including windows being smashed.

Officers attempted CPR at the scene, and when paramedics arrived, the man was rushed to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The victim was not known to police, Thom added. He is Hamilton's fifth homicide victim of the year.

Thom said he couldn't get into details of the relationship between the woman and either the attacker or the victim.

Investigators are also reminding friends, family and associates of Dylon Duarte that it is a criminal offence to assist or aide him in evading his arrest and anyone doing so could face charges of accessory after the fact to murder.

Thom said the person driving it was "not directly involved in the altercation," but he was nonetheless arrested on "unrelated matters."

"We've been very busy over the last several hours trying to collect evidence," Thom said.

An arrest warrant for first degree murder has been issued for Dylon Duarte of Hamilton. Police say if you see Dylon call 911, do not approach him he is considered armed and dangerous.

Police are looking for the public's help in locating Duarte, but cautioned in a press release that "members of the public should not approach him themselves as he is still considered armed and dangerous."

Tyquan Brown was celebrating with friends outside a house on Sherman Ave. near Case St. when they were approached by a male who had driven there in a red Volkswagen Jetta.

Investigators were also pointed in their release to "remind friends, family and associates" that it would be a criminal offence to help him evade arrest and could result in charges.

Tyquan was stabbed in the upper chest, he did not know the attacker, who ran to the parked Jetta and took off north on Sherman Ave.

Adam Carter is a Newfoundlander who now calls Hamilton home. He enjoys a good story and playing loud music in dank bars. You can follow him on Twitter @AdamCarterCBC or drop him an email at [email protected]

Police say 20 year-old Dylon Moniz Duarte was upset over a woman and didn’t appreciate her hanging out with this group.

Police have identified both the victim and the alleged perpetrator of a fatal stabbing that occurred as a group of friends took over a Hamilton street to celebrate the Raptors win in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

A 23-year-old Raptors fan was killed Thursday night while celebrating the basketball win in the city’s north end.

Det. Sgt. Peter Thom said that an unknown number of individuals were in a residence in the area watching the game but went outside and began having an impromptu celebration in the street after the final buzzer.

He said that a male suspect then arrived in the area in a red Volkswagen Jetta and got into a confrontation with the group.

This male confronted the group over a female who was partying with them and all of a sudden produced a knife and stabbed a 23-year-old male who was part of the group, Thom told reporters on Friday morning. After the stabbing the male suspect fled on foot towards a waiting car near Princess Street and Sherman Avenue. The victim ended up southbound on Sherman Avenue, turned into an alleyway and collapsed in the alleyway.

Thom said that police were called to the area for a reported stabbing but only located the victim in the alleyway after conducting a search of the immediate area.

He said that he had a fairly significant stab wound to his upper body and was administered CPR at the scene. He was then rushed to hospital by paramedics, though he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Later on Friday, police identified the victim as 23-year-old Tyquan Brown. Investigators say Brown was not known to police.

Thom said that the suspect did know some of the members of the group but is not believed to have had a prior relationship with the victim.

The car that the suspect fled the scene in has already been located, however Thom said that its driver and registered owner was not directly involved in the altercation. He was taken into custody on unrelated charges, Thom said.