Child stable after suffering traumatic injuries, teenager barricaded himself inside Hamilton home – Global News

Child stable after suffering traumatic injuries, teenager barricaded himself inside Hamilton home - Global News
Police on scene of standoff at Hamilton home after toddler found with traumatic injuries
Hamilton police say a child was seriously injured and officers have removed a 16-year-old boy who had barricaded himself inside a home in the city’s southeast mountain.

Police and paramedics were called to a home near Rymal Road and Trinity Church Road at around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday for reports that a child under the age of two was injured.

Just before 3:30 am on Wednesday, police were alerted that a "child under the age of 2" was injured at a home in the area of Rymal Road E and Trinity Church Road. 

Toddler in hospital, teen arrested following 8-hour standoff with Hamilton police

Paramedics said a child was found suffering “traumatic injuries” that are serious but non-life-threatening. The toddler, a 22-month-old, was taken to hospital and is now in stable condition, police said.

Hamilton police say they have "safely secured" a 16-year-old boy who barricaded himself in a Mountain home after a baby was sent to hospital early this morning.

Investigators said they then found the teenage boy barricaded inside of the home, prompting a lengthy standoff.

The teen then barricaded himself inside the home, which is near Bishop Ryan Secondary School. The person's relation to the baby has not been released at this time. 

Hamilton Police are dealing with a barricaded individual at a home near Bishop Ryan Secondary School in #HamOnt. Please stay out of the area. HPS Media onsite and will provide an update at Trinity Church at 7:15 am.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

There was a heavy police presence around the home with uniformed and patrol officers, tactical unit and a crisis negotiator.

At a press conference at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday morning Hamilton police Cst. Jerome Stewart said that police had "breached the residence."

Stewart said the situation was contained, officers surrounded the home, and there was no threat to public safety.

At around 10:30 a.m., police said officers had breached the home. Police said the teenager was removed from the residence and taken to hospital for examination shortly before noon.

Hamilton paramedic superintendent Dave Thompson said the baby was a girl around 21 months old, and that her injuries were serious. 

HPS has safely secured a barricaded 16-year-old male. Police will remain in the area as we continue to investigate. Roads will be reopened soon in #HamOnt. Thanks to everyone for their patience as we dealt with the situation. He has been transported to hospital for examination.

Police were called to the home, and a baby was transported to hospital with "non-life threatening injuries." 

“When we did enter the residence we found one single male, 16 years of age, and he was successfully and safely apprehended,” Stewart said.

It is unknown the relationship between the 16-year-old suspect and the toddler. Stewart said due to the suspect’s age they cannot reveal specifics but said that he is known to the family.

“There is still a lot of work to be done, interviews have to take place. We have officers in various parts of the city conducting the investigation,” Stewart said.

Police have closed Rymal Road between Trinity Church Road and Dakota Boulevard and they are asking motorists to stay away from the area.

HPS continues to investigate a barricaded male @ a residence near Trinity Church/Rymal. The situation is contained & there is no threat to public safety. Bishop Ryan School remains open,however there are road closures in place. Please avoid the area. #HamOnt @HWCDSB

Bishop Ryan CSS is OPEN. School officials in communication with @HamiltonPolice, situation contained and unrelated to school. No threat to public safety. Buses will be rerouted to back of school.

A teenage male who police say barricaded himself inside a Hamilton home where a toddler was found with traumatic injuries early Wednesday morning has been removed from the residence after an hours-long standoff.

At around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, Hamilton police were called to a residence on Rymal Road East near Trinity Church Road for reports of a disturbance that had left a young child injured.

Paramedics told CP24 that a toddler was found at the residence suffering from traumatic injuries.

The child, who is believed to be 22 months old, was taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Const. Jerome Stewart told reporters that shortly after arriving on scene, officers realized they were dealing with a barricaded male.

Police negotiators were sent to speak to the male in an effort to bring the situation to a "peaceful resolution."

At 11:30 a.m., heavily armed tactical officers were seen carrying a 16-year-old male out of the home.

The male appeared to have zip ties on his arms and legs, and was placed on a stretcher, and then into a waiting ambulance.

He may have received a minor injury… He is fine, Stewart said. We are very happy we reached a successful outcome.

Investigators have also refused to disclose the males relationship to the occupants of the home but confirmed that he is known to the family.

Police also would not offer details about the nature of the childs injuries and would not confirm reports that there were other children inside the home when the toddler was hurt.

We need some time to continue onwards with this investigation, Stewart said, adding that several witnesses still need to be interviewed.

The standoff unfolded not far from Bishop Ryan Catholic Secondary School, which remained open today.

Police said officers had the situation under control prior to the arrival of students and did not believe there was a threat to public safety.