Toddler stable after suffering traumatic injuries in Hamilton home, 16-year-old arrested – Global News

Toddler stable after suffering traumatic injuries in Hamilton home, 16-year-old arrested - Global News
Police restrain, remove barricaded suspect after toddler seriously hurt in Hamilton
Hamilton police say a 16-year-old has been arrested after a toddler was seriously injured inside a home in the city’s southeast mountain.

Police and paramedics were called to a home near Rymal Road and Trinity Church Road at around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday for reports that a child was injured.

"When we have a barricaded person in a residence, time is on our side. Were not going to rush any situation and force the hand of the person in that position," Hamilton Police Constable Jerome Stewart said. "Theyre obviously in need of assistance, and that is the number one goal, is to get to that person, and to get that person out safely, and not to bring injury to them or anybody else involved."

Paramedics said a child was found suffering “traumatic injuries” that are serious but non-life-threatening. Police said the toddler, a 22-month-old girl, was taken to hospital and is now in stable condition.

Investigators said they then found the teenage boy barricaded inside of the home, prompting a lengthy standoff.

Police negotiated with him for about eight hours before they were able to "safely secure" the suspect around 11:30 a.m. Tactical officers were seen using a battering ram to breach the door, before carrying the teenager out with his hands and feet tied.

There was a heavy police presence around the home with uniformed and patrol officers, tactical unit and a crisis negotiator.

There was a woman at the door with two small children screaming help. There was a gentleman out there that was after them," she said. We stopped the bleeding as much as we could," she said.

Stewart said the situation was contained, officers surrounded the home, and there was no threat to public safety.

At around 10:30 a.m., police said officers had breached the home. Police said the teenager was removed from the residence and taken to hospital for examination shortly before noon.

Hamilton paramedics said that when they arrived, they transported a child with traumatic injuries to hospital where she remains in stable and non-life threatening condition. 

HPS has safely secured a barricaded 16-year-old male. Police will remain in the area as we continue to investigate. Roads will be reopened soon in #HamOnt. Thanks to everyone for their patience as we dealt with the situation. He has been transported to hospital for examination.

Police also said that that they located the family dog deceased while searching the residence. Investigators believe that the teen is responsible for the dogs death.

“When we did enter the residence we found one single male, 16 years of age, and he was successfully and safely apprehended,” Stewart said.

Tara Young told CTV News Toronto that she called police after the injured girl, a young boy, and a teenager showed up on her doorstep, pleading for assistance.

It is unknown the relationship between the 16-year-old suspect and the toddler. Stewart said due to the suspect’s age they cannot reveal specifics but said that he is known to the family.

Police were called to the property on Rymal Road East, near Dakota Boulevard around 3:30 a.m., after the child was discovered injured by neighbours.

“There is still a lot of work to be done, interviews have to take place. We have officers in various parts of the city conducting the investigation,” Stewart said.

Police wouldnt confirm the relationship between the teen and the toddler but said they are "known to each other."

HPS continues to investigate a barricaded male @ a residence near Trinity Church/Rymal. The situation is contained & there is no threat to public safety. Bishop Ryan School remains open,however there are road closures in place. Please avoid the area. #HamOnt @HWCDSB

Bishop Ryan CSS is OPEN. School officials in communication with @HamiltonPolice, situation contained and unrelated to school. No threat to public safety. Buses will be rerouted to back of school.

The teenager may have suffered a minor injury and was transported to hospital to be examined, according to police.

A teenage male who police say barricaded himself inside a Hamilton home after a toddler was found with traumatic injuries early Wednesday morning has been removed from the residence after an hours-long standoff.

The primary negotiator tries to speak with the person, while a backup officer takes notes and makes suggestions. A team liaison records whats happening and passes information to the duty officer — a senior commander — who is in charge of the scene.

At around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, Hamilton police were called to a residence on Rymal Road East near Trinity Church Road for reports of a disturbance that had left a young child injured.

When the 16-year-old boy turned his attention to the bystander, the girl fled with the children to a neighbours house. No one other than the 22-month-old was hurt, though police later found a dead dog in the home. They believe the boy killed it.

Paramedics told CP24 that a toddler was found at the residence suffering from traumatic injuries.

A 16-year-old boy barricaded overnight inside a Rymal Road East home was safely apprehended by Hamilton police late Wednesday morning, about eight hours after a toddler was hurt in an incident with a knife at the residence.

The child, who is believed to be 22 months old, was taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. They are currently listed in stable condition.

Police have not yet commented on the nature of the childs injuries; however a neighbour who spoke with CTV News Toronto on Wednesday said that she appeared to have many cuts to her body.

The toddler was inside the home — on Rymal near Dakota Boulevard and across from Bishop Ryan Catholic Secondary School — with another young child, a teenage girl and the 16-year-old boy.

Tara Young, who lives two doors down from the address where the arrest was made, said that she was awoken by the sounds of knocking on her door shortly after 3 a.m. She said that her daughter got to the door first and found three young people, including the injured toddler, in need of help.

I heard extreme banging at the door. My 12-year-old was the first to hear it. She went to the door, seen a woman in distress and she opened the door, let them in and locked the door, she said. There was a gentleman chasing them. He had a knife and was trying to harm them.

Young said that after her daughter let the victims into her home and locked the door, they observed the male with the knife chasing after someone else on the street. She said that she believes he then went to the home and barricaded himself inside.

In a news conference earlier in the day, Const. Jerome Stewart told reporters that shortly after arriving on scene, officers realized they were dealing with a barricaded male.

Hamilton police Const. Jerome Stewart would not comment on the nature of her injuries, the presence of a weapon or other details about how the girl was injured.

Police negotiators were sent to speak to the male in an effort to bring the situation to a "peaceful resolution," he said.

Crisis negotiators are specially trained police officers who work in teams to speak with and assess someone who is barricaded or in a hostage situation.

At 11:30 a.m., heavily armed tactical officers were seen carrying a 16-year-old male out of the home.

Stewart said the 16-year-old was taken to hospital for assessment. Once hes medically cleared, hell be taken to the police station for questioning.

The male appeared to have zip ties on his arms and legs, and was placed on a stretcher, and then into a waiting ambulance.

Police moved \”slowly and methodically,\” he said, adding that the goal was to safely remove the 16-year-old boy without anyone else getting hurt.

In a news release issued late Wednesday afternoon, policed said that they located the family dog deceased while searching the home. Police added that they believe the teen is responsible for the dogs death.

There was a dispute and the 22-month-old was hurt, the source said. The teen girl tried to flee with the children and a passing driver stopped.

Investigators have also refused to disclose his relationship to the occupants of the home but confirmed that he is known to the family.

Police also would not offer details about the nature of the childs injuries and would not confirm reports that there were other children inside the home when the toddler was hurt.

We need some time to continue onwards with this investigation, Stewart said, adding that several witnesses still need to be interviewed.

The standoff unfolded not far from Bishop Ryan Catholic Secondary School, which remained open today.

Police said officers had the situation under control prior to the arrival of students and did not believe there was a threat to public safety.