It's official. Minister Duncan announces Canada is in with USA and Mexico for a joint bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup #FIFA #WorldCup #FIFWorldCup2026 #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/RQ7eLHxiAm
Video: Feds announce Canada to join US, Mexico bid for 2026 FIFA World Cup
The bid, which will be part of a joint effort by national soccer associations in Canada, United States and Mexico, would see Toronto host a handful of games.
Ottawa pledges support to World Cup bid by Canadian cities
Canada would get to host 10 matches if the bid is successful. Thus far there has been no break down of how many games each city will get to host. pic.twitter.com/PMslcdHGHl
Earlier this year, Mayor John Tory said he was all for the city putting forth a bid to be one of the host cities.
City staff estimate it would cost between $30 million to $45 million to co-host the World Cup. However, those costs are expected to be shared between all three levels of government.
2026 FIFA World Cup: Is the Canada–Mexico–US Joint Bid in Trouble?
The FIFA World Cup is one of the worlds most watched sporting events. The reaching World Cup in Brazil in 2014 reached an audience of 3.2 billion people.
Video: FIFA World Cup 2026: Canada officially announces support for bid
In previous years, Toronto made concessions for bars looking to accommodate the influx of soccer fans during World Cup, including extending last call and allowing bars to open early to let fans check out early-morning matches.
Canada, Mexico and the U.S. are up against Morocco to host the mens soccer showcase. Their bid books go to Federation International of Football Association (FIFA) at the end of the week with a decision to be made June 13 at the FIFA congress.
This would be the third international sporting event the city has played host to in recent years. In 2015, Toronto hosted the PanAm and Parapan Am Games and this summer thousands flocked to the city for the Invictus Games — and, of course, to catch a glimpse of Prince Harry and his now fiance, Meghan Markle.
Notice: Your email may not yet have been verified. Please check your email, click the link to verify your address, and then submit your comment. If you cant find this email, access your profile editor to re-send the confirmation email. You must have a verified email to submit a comment. Once you have done so, check again.
Canadian fans celebrate Canadas 3-0 win over Cuba in their FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifier at BMO field in Toronto, Ontario, October 12, 2012
North America and Morocco are the only declared candidates so far vying to host the sporting event that is expected to be watched by billions of fans around the world.
If North America is picked to host the matches, Sports Minister Kirsty Duncan said Ottawa will provide up to Can$5 million to support the continued development of the event.
“As the only G7 country to have not hosted the men’s competition, we are more than ready to welcome the world along with our neighbours in Mexico and the United States,” said Steven Reed, head of Canada Soccer and co-chair of the united bid committee.
The 2026 competition will bring together for the first time 48 teams, up from 32 in 2018 and 2022.
The winning bid will be announced on June 13, at the start of the next World Cup in Russia. In another first, all 211 FIFA federations will have a say in the decision, which was previously made by the FIFA council.
At the end of December, Gianni Infantino, president of FIFA, said he felt that this joint bid sent a “positive message.”
FIFA, he added, has “no right to impose heavy burdens on a single country if an event can be organized in more than one.”