Police nab 14 alleged thieves with bait electronics

Police nab 14 alleged thieves with \bait electronics\
Fleeing man hit by truck – BC News
Officers searched an apartment on Harwood Street near Broughton Street on Wednesday night as part of a five-month investigation by the department's drug unit.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) stated in an October 10 news release that prior to 10 p.m. on October 9, two plainclothes patrol officers witnessed a Dodge Durango drive through an area of Granville Street with restricted to public vehicle access. At a news conference on October 10, VPD spokesperson Sgt. Jason Robillard noted that the vehicle had an N (or novice) designation, which restricts the vehicle to one passenger only (unless with a supervisor). 

Police were called to the 6700 block of 130th Street just before 2 p.m., where an adult victim was located suffering from gunshot wounds. Despite attempts to revive the individual, the victim did not survive. 

Three men from West Vancouver and Victoria charged in assault on Vancouver police officers: video

Anyone with information is asked to call the IHIT information line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or email [email protected].  

One man ran from the scene, as the uninjured officer pursued him. The male suspect ran through a red light at Robson and Seymour streets where he was hit by a truck but continued running until he was arrested by the officer on Richards Street between Robson and Smithe streets.

RCMP have cordoned off the scene on 130th Street, between 64th and 68th avenues and are asking the public to stay away while they investigate.

This beautifully produced coffee-table book brings together over 100 of Georgia Straights iconic covers, along with short essays, insider details and contributor reflections, putting each of these issues of the publication into its historical context.

No details have been provided on the incident, what prompted it, or the severity of the victim's injuries.

Two West Vancouver residents, 22-year-old Troy Michael Robinson and 21-year-old Brendan John Robinson, are charged with assaulting a police officer causing bodily harm and willfully obstructing a police officer.

Traffic is backing up on the Trans-Canada Highway east of Sicamous because of power lines down on the road.

When an officer opened the passenger door, the passenger in the front seat pulled the officer into the vehicle while the other two men began to punch the officer in the face and head.

The incident happened near Griffin Lake and the Enchanted Forest tourist attraction, between Sicamous and Revelstoke. Lines are reportedly down on the highway in multiple locations.

DriveBC reports the highway is closed in both directions between Avoca Road and Three Valley Gap Frontage Road, a distance of 21.3 kilometres.

A 605-unit apartment complex is without heat or hot water, and utility provider FortisBC has reportedly ordered 200 industrial customers in Vancouver to shut off their gas.

As the second officer moved in to help, the three passengers continued to assault the officers as they exited the vehicle.

"Effective immediately, you are being curtailed to zero," FortisBC said in a letter to management at the Langara Gardens apartments on Wednesday, leaving more than 1,000 residents in the cold.

According to the VPD, additional charges related to alcohol and drugs seized from the vehicle may also be laid.

"You don't get any heat – that's it – or hot water," resident Fin Russell told CTV.

"We had curtailed service or shut off service to a lot of industrial customers, so they come off first," FortisBC spokesperson Doug Stout confirmed. "We keep homes and small business on the longest if we have outages."

"We had gas flowing into two large pipelines that were operating at full capacity before the rupture," Stout said. "We're going to be at less than half of that volume, so obviously there's still a shortage of gas to go around."

British Columbia's wild salmon face a series of complex threats that a new report says require urgent and strategic intervention.

The B.C. government appointed the Wild Salmon Advisory Council earlier this year to provide insight and guidance on protecting provincial salmon stocks, while maximizing their resource value.

The report released Thursday says while it's difficult to pinpoint the state of salmon in the province, it's clear that across all regions and species, overall abundance has declined since the 1950s.

The report says poor marine survival rates, changing ocean conditions, habitat loss and inadequate water quality are all taking a toll on salmon.

The council makes 14 recommendations for a made-in-B.C. strategy to protect the salmon, including restoring habitat, increasing production of juvenile salmon, supporting value-added fishing opportunities and tourism and working with Indigenous communities on harvest and conservation goals.

The release of the report coincides with the declaration of the International Year of the Salmon, and federal Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson also introduced his government's five-year plan to help rebuild Pacific wild salmon populations and their habitats.

"Our government will continue to protect this species, which has such cultural, social and economic significance for Canadians," Wilkinson said. "Together, we can help rebuild these stocks for the benefit of our entire ecosystem and for generations to come."

The federal Wild Salmon Policy is a result of two years of consultations sessions across B.C. and Yukon, a government news release said.

Adam Olsen, a B.C. Green party member of the legislature and a member of the Wild Salmon Advisory Council, said the provincial report is a clear pathway to develop policies to protect wild salmon.

"Now that we have this report, the government should act swiftly to enact policies that will lead to measurable progress."

After 10 years leading B.C.'s largest city, Gregor Robertson is preparing to step away from the helm.

Whatever the outgoing mayor set out to achieve for Vancouver has largely been overshadowed by his role piloting the city through some of its greatest trials.

Sitting in the ceremonial room where he has hosted countless meetings, Robertson said he's comfortable with any lens people choose to view his performance.

"Collectively we've achieved a lot of great successes. But generally in politics and particularly being the mayor, you end up being in the blame game for when things do go wrong. And when there are global challenges, like affordability, that are hitting every big city in the world and hitting us particularly hard, people want to blame me for that," Robertson, 54, said. "That's OK, I can handle it."

A decade ago, Robertson had a clear vision for achievement: Make Vancouver the greenest city in the world by 2020, end homelessness by 2015, increase affordable housing and strengthen the economy.

In fact, Robertson and his council managed to achieve, or at least make dents in, many of those goals.

The unemployment rate is among the lowest in the country at 4.5 per cent. Robertson said more than half of residents use transportation other than cars, an objective that was reached five years ahead of schedule in 2015.

Gordon Price, who was a Vancouver councillor for six terms and former director for The City Program at Simon Fraser University, said when a political promise is checked off, it doesn't often come with gold stars from voters.

"In a sense, when you were elected to do something and you actually do it, the big response is 'yawn,'" Price said.

What Robertson didn't anticipate was the scale of multiple crises that would knock some of Vancouver's most vulnerable down and change the character of the city.

The year he took office, the global economic recession hit. Four years ago, people began dying from overdoses in unprecedented numbers. In the last decade, rising property values made the city unaffordable for many. Each presented an obstacle, taken together, they have overwhelmed the city, Robertson said.

"People are dying in unprecedented numbers, that's been really difficult. You know the bigger, longer crisis of affordable housing was decades in the making and then we got walloped with the biggest influx of global capital really that any city had seen all at once."

Rental housing accounted for more than half of the developments approved this year, he said, compared with 10 years ago when it made up five per cent of the supply.

"The new council and mayor, they're going to have to keep going. This is going to take years," Robertson said.

The city also has a history of "bouncing back," he said, pointing to the way the community came together to clean up after the Stanley Cup riots in 2011.

"I think as a city we've gotten a lot more resilient and closer in terms of dealing with these challenges."

As for what's on the horizon, Robertson plans to take his first long vacation in about 20 years this winter.

"I'm ready for a break from politics," he said. "Basically, I won't be responsible for the city anymore so I need to transition out of that mindset and open my eyes to what I want to do next."

RCMP are working with Enbridge, the National Energy Board and Transportation Safety Board to determine the cause of the natural gas pipeline explosion that occurred earlier this week.

Some 100 residents were temporarily evacuated from a rural area outside of Prince George in the late afternoon on Oct. 9.

“Our top priority is to ensure public and officer safety,” said Insp. Shaun Wright, Operations Officer of Prince George RCMP. “Our investigators, along with forensic identification services, have maintained security of the scene from the beginning and immediately engaged the assistance of our North District Major Crime Unit. Fortunately, there were no reported injuries or damages to properties in the vicinity.”

Wright said after reviewing known information by all stakeholders, there are no indications that the explosion was criminal in nature. The investigation has now been turned over to Transportation Safety Board, with assistance from National Energy Board and Enbridge.

Analysts say about 10 per cent of Western Canada's daily natural gas output was stranded when Enbridge Inc. halted transport on the 36-inch line that exploded Tuesday near Prince George as well as its neighbouring 30-inch line.

A slumping hillside that is threatening dozens of homes in northeastern B.C. has prompted an evacuation alert for part of the city of Fort St. John.

The alert was issued on Wednesday for a section of the city's southernmost outskirts at the top of the steep hill overlooking the Peace River and the riverbank community of Old Fort.

The slowly moving landslide began more than 10 days ago and has gradually torn up the only road down to Old Fort, toppled power lines and forced the Peace River Regional District to order the evacuation of all 54 homes in the suburb.

A news release from Fort St. John says the evacuation alert is precautionary and will allow city staff to effectively respond to the constantly changing event.

No homes are affected by the alert, which covers two sewage lagoons described by the city as "dormant and empty."

B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth flew over the landslide on Wednesday and called it a "very complex situation," because the earth is still moving and cracks in the hills on either side of the slide continue to widen.

The weather in the valley may be improving as we head into the weekend, but that is not the case at higher elevations.

Snow can be seen on highway cameras at the Pennask Summit, and the Bullet Cam at Big White Ski Resort is also showing some powder that appears to be accumulating.

Environment Canada's forecast for the next few days calls for sunshine and highs in the teens but overnight lows could dip down below zero, in fact, they are predicting the mercury to drop to -1 overnight Saturday into Sunday morning.

Big White opens for the first run of the season on Nov. 22, and if you're traveling in the mountain passes in B.C. you are required to have winter tires on your vehicle.

While M+S tires with 3.5 mm tread are the minimum requirement for winter driving, it is highly recommended you use snowflake logo'd tires on routes like the Coquihalla or anywhere that severe winter conditions are likely to occur.

The company that shut down its main natural gas pipeline through British Columbia following an explosion and fire Tuesday night says it has restarted a smaller line running beside the damaged pipe.

Enbridge says it has received National Energy Board approval Wednesday night to restart its 76-centimetre line, which was shut down as a precaution because it is in the same path as the 91-centimetre line that ruptured and exploded near Prince George.

The Calgary-based energy supplier says the line was carefully checked before permission was received to restart it at about 80 per cent of normal capacity.

Fortis BC, the company that depends on the Enbridge line for about 85 per cent of the gas it delivers to its one million customers, says in an online notice that gas is now flowing, but customers are still asked to cut back.

It says restoring flow in the smaller line is a positive step, but until the damaged larger line is repaired, a shortage of natural gas continues.

In response to the call for conservation, the B.C. Institute of Technology has tweeted that heat is off on the north side of its Burnaby campus until further notice, while the University of B.C. has told researchers and other non-essential users to immediately stop using natural gas.

The UBC bulletin says although gas use should still be restricted, "UBC buildings that use natural gas for heating, hot water and cooking are no longer expected to be impacted."

In an earlier news release, Enbridge said it is working with other companies to find alternate supplies of gas to meet demand.

It damaged the company's primary natural gas pipeline linking the Fort Nelson area to Vancouver and south to another 750,000 customers in the northwest United States.

Many people are doing their part to help reduce their natural gas use today, but more needs to be done.

FortisBC said they are thankful to the customers who have been helping, which resulted in a reduction of about 20 per cent across the province on Wednesday.

“This means we have more time to keep gas flowing through the system for essential services,” said spokesperson Alex Munro.

A gas pipeline blast on Tuesday, northeast of Prince George, shut down the Enbridge natural gas pipeline about 600 miles northeast of Vancouver and could cut off flow to Washington State.

“We still need more customers to reduce their natural gas usage as much as possible for now, as we continue to work with Enbridge to confirm the impact on the system,” said Munro.

“Everyone is doing their part, and we are aware that our neighbours south of the border have also been mindful of their gas use too,” said Munro.

A gas pipeline that ruptured northeast of Prince George on Tuesday is causing FortisBC to urge customers conserve their use of natural gas.

The Enbridge natural gas pipeline explosion occurred at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and forced many people from their homes.

Doug Stout of FortisBC said that 85 per cent of the gas his company feeds to homes and businesses is carried by the twinned Enbridge pipeline that runs from northern B.C. to the Seattle area.

“Although FortisBC’s system is not damaged, we are working hard to continue to provide natural gas to homes and businesses,” said spokesperson Diana Sorace.

The impacted Enbridge lines are the two main lines used to move gas into FortisBC gas system to people in the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.

“We are looking to add to our supply by bringing in gas through the TransCanada line from Alberta and activating our Tilbury and Mt Hayes liquefied natural gas plants, and have also talked to our industrial customers about switching to alternative fuel sources,” said Sorace.

The damaged pipeline connects to the Northwest Pipeline system, which feeds puget Sound Energy, and risks cutting off the flow of Canadian natural gas to Washington State.

Pugest Sound Engery is urging its 750,000 customers to lower their thermostats and limit hot water use.

Here in B.C., residents are being asked to turn down their thermostat, turn off furnaces and minimize use of hot water.

Fortis BC tells Castanet News that as of 4 p.m. they do not have any further updates but will keep us informed if things change.

A massive pipeline explosion in British Columbia risks cutting off the flow of Canadian natural gas to Washington State, and companies are urging customers to conserve.

The blast Tuesday shut down the Enbridge natural gas pipeline about 600 miles northeast of Vancouver.

Doug Stout of Fortis BC said Wednesday that 85 per cent of the gas his company feeds to homes and businesses is carried by the twinned pipeline that runs from northern British Columbia to the United States border south of Vancouver.

The damaged Enbridge pipeline connects to the Northwest Pipeline system, which feeds Puget Sound Energy in Washington State and Northwest Natural Gas in Portland.

Puget Sound Energy is urging its 750,000 customers to lower their thermostats and limit hot water use at least through Wednesday.

FortisBC is urging its customers to conserve after an explosion and fire on the pipeline that supplies most of the natural gas to the province.

The blast Tuesday shut down the Enbridge natural gas pipeline about 15 kilometres northeast of Prince George.

Doug Stout, FortisBC vice-president of external relations, said Wednesday that 85 per cent of the gas his company feeds to homes and businesses is carried by the twinned pipeline that runs from northern B.C. to the United States border south of Vancouver.

One of the two lines ruptured and exploded but the second line is also shut while it's being checked for damage, said Stout, prompting Fortis to warn of "decreased energy flow and potential loss of service."

"Turn down your thermostat if you are in a cold spot. Turn off your furnace if you can, if you are in Vancouver or a situation where you can do that. Minimize the use of hot water if you have a natural gas hot water tank … so we preserve the gas we have for as long as possible," said Stout.

As many as 700,000 customers in northern B.C., the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island could be directly affected by a shortage, he said.

Stout urged another 300,000 customers in the Okanagan and southeastern B.C., to conserve even though their natural gas comes from Alberta.

"We are asking them to cut back, too, because we can flow some of that gas past them and down here to the Lower Mainland. So we are asking everybody to chip in," said Stout.

The damaged Enbridge pipeline connects to the Northwest Pipeline system which feeds Puget Sound Energy in Washington State and Northwest Natural Gas in Portland.

Puget Sound Energy had already issued a notice on social media urging its 750,000 natural gas customers to lower their thermostats and limit hot water use at least through Wednesday, a warning Stout seconded.

Currently Fortis has reserves still in the pipeline south of Prince George, in its liquefied natural gas storage tanks in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island, and there is some gas flowing from Alberta through a pipeline in southern B.C., Stout said.

Fortis expected to receive updates on the situation as Transportation Safety Board investigators and National Energy Board inspectors arrived to assess the damage and attempt to determine a cause.

The company will update its customers as soon as it is in a position to offer something new, said Stout.

As many as 70 per cent of FortisBC's natural gas customers could be without service following an explosion of a pipeline north of Prince George.

Doug Stout, vice-president of external relations for the utility, is urging customers to use natural gas sparingly for the time being.

Fortis says none of their infrastructure was damaged when the Enbridge pipeline ruptured and ignited, but the utility relies on the pipeline to supply natural gas to its customers across the province, including in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

Fortis has now shut off the pipeline and as many as 700,000 customers – could lose gas supply before repairs can be affected.

A video shot by a bystander in Vancouver  captures the moment a suspect fleeing from police is struck by a pick-up truck.

The incident happened after a routine traffic stop just before 10 p.m. Monday night on Robson Street between Granville and Seymour streets.

A VPD officer was sent to hospital with significant injuries after the three men in their early 20's became confrontational and verbally abusive the officers became concerned for their safety as the occupants refused to follow police direction and began reaching under the seat. When one officer opened the passenger door, the front passenger pulled him into the vehicle and two men began to punch him repeatedly in his head and face. As the other officer rushed to help, all three men jumped out of the vehicle and continued to assault the officers.   One of the assailants fled the scene on foot and the uninjured officer gave chase. The suspect ran through a red light at Robson Street and Seymour Street and was struck by a vehicle. He bounced up and continued to run until he was arrested by the pursuing officer on Richards Street between Robson and Smithe.   “This is an example of the risk all police officers face as they work to protect the citizens they serve. This sort of incident affects the entire policing community. We wish our officer a speedy recovery and will ensure the officer and his family have the support they need,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard, Vancouver Police.     Two of the men are from West Vancouver and one is from Victoria. Criminal charges, including assault causing bodily harm, assault against a police officer, theft and obstruction, are pending. Other charges, related to alcohol and drugs seized from the vehicle, may also be laid.   The injured police officer is now recovering at home from his injuries.

This week's natural gas pipeline explosion near Prince George could lead to a spike in gasoline prices, according to GasBuddy.com analyst Dan McTeague.

Fuel prices across the Pacific Northwest could jump in coming days because of the explosion's effect on refineries in Washington state.

"The duration of the price impact will depend on the length of time that the pipeline is out of service, but it may be at least one to two weeks," he told CTV.

Some stations on Vancouver Island, which is in danger of a natural gas shortage because of the explosion, bumped prices nearly 15 cents on Wednesday, to 153.9 cents per litre.

FortisBC customers across the province have been asked to limit their natural gas use because of the incident, which could lead supply being cut off.

The man, wanted on charges in Kelowna and Vernon including being unlawfully at large, jumped into the water about 3 p.m., after being spotted by RCMP.

The man then "made concerning comments about hurting himself before he would get out," RCMP say.

Officers from Saanich and Victoria, along with firefighters, scoured the area before locating the man about 40 minutes later hiding in some bushes on the shore. He was arrested without incident.