UPDATE: One person has been arrested after a drug lab was discovered in New Westminster

UPDATE: One person has been arrested after a drug lab was discovered in New Westminster
Drug lab explosion could have been a lot worse, say New Westminster police
New Westminster Police are continuing their investigation into a clandestine drug lab discovered after an explosion Sunday afternoon.

The explosion happened around 1 p.m. on Nov. 4 at an apartment building at Carnarvon and Elliot streets. Firefighters and police responded to the incident and discovered a make-shift drug lab in one of the units.

One man is in custody after we responded to reports of an explosion. No one was injured. We will be executing a search warrant and examining the scene with a drug lab team. #NewWest pic.twitter.com/2TdTLP3B1o

Man in custody after explosion in suspected drug lab

Neighbours in the area spent much of the evening posting photos online of the police activity. A Hazmat team was seen entering the building. Police have confirmed a search warrant was obtained so officers and a drug lab team could conduct their investigation inside the lab.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

No word yet on when cleanup will be complete or when the other residents will be able to return to their homes.

New Westminster police say one man is in custody after an explosion Sunday at an apparent illegal drug lab located in a low-rise apartment building.

New Westminster Police and the fire department are holding a press conference Monday morning to provide further details.

Police say no one was hurt in a New Westminster drug lab explosion, but they're warning it could have been a lot worse.

Scott said the suspect was attempting to leave the building and was unco-operative when first responders arrived on the scene. 

When officers entered the suite, they saw evidence indicating the presence of a drug lab, and a man there was arrested.

Sgt. Jeff Scott says many residents could have been injured if the explosion were bigger or if fire had spread.

"The unit that they responded to had the glass broken out of it as a result of what appeared to be an explosion," Sgt. Jeff Scott of the New West Police told CTV. 

About two dozen residents had to find alternative accommodation Sunday evening after the hazardous materials incident, CTV tweeted.