North Bay police release new information in 2011 missing person case – CTV News

North Bay police release new information in 2011 missing person case - CTV News
New clues come forward as police give Luke Joly Durocher update
NORTH BAY — North Bay police have released new information in the 2011 disappearance of Luke Joly-Durocher Tuesday in hopes of sparking new leads.

Investigators now say Joly-Durocher was last seen in Shooters Bar at the Voyager Inn on Delaware Street in North Bay after he was turned away at Cecils.

Police say the 20-year-old was seen socializing at the bar, that was not previously named, and investigators say he later got a ride from at least one of the patrons.

They say several witnesses have come forward, and they believe that by releasing this new information, there may be someone out there who may have been socializing with him before he disappeared.

OPP Det. Insp. Kurtis Fredericks, North Bay Police Chief Scott Tod and North Bay Det. Const. Dave Wilson talk Tuesday about new information on the disappearance in 2011 of Luke Joly-Durocher in NOrth Bay. PJ Wilson/The Nugget

Chief Scott Tod says this is about bringing the family closure, finding out how he died, and who or what may have been responsible.

Tod said he is confident the renewed call for information, as well as the new information on Joly-Durocher’s last confirmed sighting and the billboard and publicity campaign will help close the case.

The province is still offering a $50,000 reward for information on his whereabouts is still in place.

Wilson said Joly-Durocher later obtained a ride from at least one of the patrons, and other witnesses have said he may have been socializing with others in the bar before he disappeared March 4, 2011.

SUDBURY — North Bay police will provide an update Tuesday morning at 11 am on the disappearance of Luke Joly-Durocher in 2011. 

“We continue to collaborate in the hope that this new information and the highway billboard campaign will job memories or give someone the courage to come forward with what they know.”

Joly-Durocher has been missing since March 4, 2011, when he was last seen leaving a downtown North Bay bar on Main Street just before midnight.

Det. Insp. Kurtis Fredericks, major case manager with the OPP’s Criminal Investigation Branch, said police “need the public’s help now more than ever” to resolve the case.

Detective Sergeant Barry Ramsay, of North Bay Police Service said "Luke was turned away from Cecils Eatery and Bar at the corner of Main Street East and Wyld Street. Its believed that he was by himself in the area of 100 block of Main Street East and may have proceeded west bound on foot."

20-year-old Joly Durocher was just visiting North Bay the night he disappeared, so police expanded their search to his hometown of Temiscaming, Quebec. With the help of Sûreté du Québec and the Ontario Provincial Police K9 Unit, police conducted ground searches in a rural area close to Temiscaming. Police also searched Lake Nipissing near the water treatment plant for clues.

The jacket he was wearing, his glasses, and cell phone were later found at a friends downtown apartment on Sherbrook Street, which later become the subject of a forensic investigation.

Luke is the only son of Rob Joly and Monique Durocher. Over the years, the family has held candlelight vigils and even raised money through community concerts and donations to offer a $10,000 reward for information.

“We have some new information which we hope will bring resolution to his family, friends and the community,” North Bay Police Chief Scott Tod said.

In February 2013, a North Bay woman was convicted of obstructing police in connection to Joly-Durochers disappearance. 31-year-old Danielle Leduc-Mitchell was sentenced to two years less a day in jail time for providing false information to police.  A few months after the investigation began, she claimed to have witnessed the beating death of Joly-Durocher, identified alleged assailants, and described how the body was disposed of in the Temiscaming area, but police determined that the information was not true and that valuable time and resources were wasted as a result.

It took an emotional toll on the family and gave them false hope. Leduc-Mitchel apologised to the family at the trial.

CTV Northern Ontarios Ian Campbell is attending Tuesdays news conference in North Bay and will have the newest information sometime after 11 am.

“We are confident that people in the area when Luke Joly-Durocher was last seen have important information,” Fredericks said.

North Bay police hold news conference October 8, 2019 to release new information in the disappearance of Luke Joly-Durocher. (Ian Campbell/CTV Northern Ontario)

“We believe this is a solvable case,” Wilson said. “We need just one piece of information.”

On this weeks gardening segment, Tony Ryma finds out why it is important to protect butterflies and what we can do to help. Air Date: August 2, 2018

Billboards have been installed on highways around the city to “remind people to do the right thing.”

The North Bay Police Service and the OPP held a collective new conference urging the public to come forward with more information about the disappearance of Luke Joly Durocher back in early March of 2011.  

Some of those people he was seen with, Wilson said, may be persons of interest in the continuing investigation.

New billboards are being put up on both Highway 11 and 17 near North Bay with the hopes that the signage will generate more information about the missing person investigation. 

Over the past eight years, North Bay Police Service investigators have conducted hundreds of interviews, and followed up on as many leads and tips, trying to ascertain what had happened to Luke. 

Luke Joly-Durocher, who was 20 at the time of his disappearance, was last seen shortly before midnight in North Bays downtown on March 4, 2011.

“I know the city police and the OPP all have an interest in solving this case,” said Scott Tod, North Bay police chief.   

A downtown bar captured images of him outside late that evening and his bank card was found in the downtown core about 11 days later. 

Police now say that after Joly-Durocher was refused entry to Cecils Bar downtown, he attended Shooters bar located at the Voyageur Inn on Delaware Street.  

Police believe he was observed socializing at the bar and police confirmed later that Luke obtained a ride from at least one of the patrons.  Additional witnesses have come forward and police know other people may have been socializing with Luke before he disappeared.  

“I think that is an important part that the investigators have learned since 2011 recently working with the OPP,” said Tod.  

“We have learned a number of things that they will be doing an investigative follow-up on.”  

Kurtis Fredericks, detective inspector, major case manager, OPP criminal investigation branch says they hope that as time passes people, when they have the time to contemplate and realize they have information, they would come forward.

“The other part of a missing person investigation is sometimes people do not realize how important the information they now have is,” said Fredericks.  

“They may not have witnessed the direct crime but in terms of when they saw someone with a particular person that can be very helpful.”  

North Bay Police, with the assistance of the OPP and the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, is offering a reward of up to $50,000 to anyone who comes forward with information concerning the person or persons responsible for his disappearance.