Another door malfunction halts Ottawas LRT Wednesday morning – Global News

Another door malfunction halts Ottawas LRT Wednesday morning - Global News
Its a disaster: Jammed door holds up LRT for 2nd straight morning
A second day of delays hit Ottawa’s Confederation Line on Wednesday morning, prompting OC Transpo to call in reinforcement buses.

According to OC Transpo, the delay was caused by a door malfunction on a train travelling along the line. The initial call for service came in at 8:15 a.m.

This is what the lineup looked like shortly before 9 as buses called to Tunneys Pasture started leaving the station following major malfunction of LRT – service shut down for an hour while frustrated commuters say theyve lost faith ⁩3 days in ⁦@ctvottawa⁩

Later that morning, OC Transpo brought in bus service to alleviate the bottleneck at Tunney’s Pasture station. Passengers on the trains were asked to disembark and instead hop on a bus to get downtown.

OC Transpo announced at 8:15 a.m. that "service delays can be expected due to a door fault." 12 minutes later, OC Transpo announced R1 bus service was being rolled out between Tunneys Pasture and Rideau Station. Bus service was cancelled when full LRT service resumed. 

Thought Id swing by Tunneys on my ride to work. Riders are expressing their feelings to me in no uncertain terms as they walk by.

On Tuesday morning, a similar delay was also caused by a door malfunction, with the train in question needing to be taken out of service to fix the issue.

The train is being tested and finally moving as hundreds of commuters were told to get off and hop on one of dozens of buses called to the station – commuters calling this latest mess an embarrassment and a joke ⁦@ctvottawa⁩

According to OC Transpo boss John Manconi, when a train in the centre of the line is in need of repairs, other trains need to be moved in order for that train to be taken off the line.

Barrhaven residents please note OC Transpo has experienced a door issue at Lyon station . Diversion rail service has been implemented . Replacement bus service has also been implemented

“Door faults, or any issue that cannot be repaired or addressed on the spot and which cause the train to become immobilized, require the use of a diversion line to detour trains around the obstacle until the affected train can be moved off the line,” said Manconi in a letter to riders after Tuesday’s delay.

All options are on the table, Watson says, including the possible return of parallel bus service until OC Transpo gets into a rhythm with the public and the commute.

Kudos to the staff at Tunneys giving calm and clear directions to R1 bus service! #OCTranspo #LRT #Ottawa

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson says the City is considering fines for people who pry open doors. He has asked staff to explain why the system appears to be so fragile.

For the second morning in a row, a single jammed door caused long delays and crowded platforms up and down the Confederation Line, with some fed up passengers finishing their journey on foot.

A train door became stuck at Lyon station at about 8 a.m., causing delays that lasted until about 9:30 a.m. Once again, the domino effect meant passengers who continued to pile off buses crammed platforms, escalators and concourses, especially at the line's end points.

It was practically a repeat of Tuesday morning's commute, only according to some passengers, worse.

On Tuesday morning, a door fault on a train at the uOttawa station caused a 15 to 20 minute delay across the system. 

Many riders opted to walk the 3.5 kilometres from Tunney's Pasture station to their offices downtown, including Rob Laflèche.

“I can’t get to class! There’s hundreds and hundreds of people here,” one clearly upset woman shouted into her cellphone in the middle of the crush. “I’m going to be late and it’s mid-term review day! Don’t come here.”

"It's a disaster," Laflèche said. "There was no place to come out. There were hundreds and hundreds of people inside [the station], and you can't do anything."

With the LRT trains being stuck these past couple of days, we are hearing reports of people experiencing anxiety attacks due to claustrophobia. Please note that at any given time, you can call us, and we will help you get through it. 613-238-3311.1/2

OC Transpo ran R1 replacement buses between Tunney's Pasture and Rideau stations until about 9:20 a.m.

With the trains not running, OC Transpo staff marshalled commuters out of the station and back on to the bus platform where special R1 buses — some still displaying the “ready4rail” slogan — carried passengers downtown.

Lane Bourbonniere and Austin Tarin were among the throng of frustrated passengers who elected to hail a cab or summon an Uber to finish their trip.

“I’m lucky. I’m not in a hurry,” he said. “But they’ve got to get this fixed. If one person can hold open a door and bring the whole thing to a stop, that’s ridiculous.”

"It's a little frustrating because we wake up early to get to work assuming that OC Transpo is going to be reliable, and it's been showing that it's not," Bourbonniere said.

Grills was coming from the Rideau Centre, but had to get off at Parliament and board a bus to bypass the blockage before reboarding a second train to Tunney’s.

This is ridiculous. All I can do is laugh.- Austin Tarin, passenger "It's comical at this point," Tarin added. "It's day three and this happens already a second time? This is ridiculous. All I can do is laugh."

Tarin also had a message for OC Transpo and the city's general manager of transportation services, John Manconi.

Situation at Tunneys Pasture. No trains. Station jammed like a cattle stockyard. Everyone being told to get back on buses. Blair Crawford / Postmedia

"You rushed it. Fix the stuff or bring buses back at least until the next stage is complete. You can't be doing this in the first weeks."

At about 9:15 a.m. Transpo tweeted the problem had been fixed and Line 1 service was back, but delays would continue for an unspecified amount of time.

By 9:15 a.m. Line 1 had resumed full service, but OC Transpo anticipated delays would continue for some time.

Wednesday morning, Sass’s father, who’d taken the train earlier, texted him to warn him about the half-hour delay.

On Tuesday a passenger held a door open at uOttawa station and broke it, taking more than an hour for train travel to return to normal as the problem train was removed.

“Good luck!” passenger David Grills called to passengers boarding the first eastbound train to leave the platform.

When asked about door issues on Friday, before the three week transition period with parallel bus service ended, the city said doors were working properly 80,000 times a day and incidents happened "a very small percentage" of the time.

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.