22-year-old dead after shooting in Surrey

22-year-old dead after shooting in Surrey
Fatal shooting overnight – BC News
Police were called to the 14200 block of 70A Avenue in Newton after someone called 911 about a person lying on the ground outside a home just before 1:30 a.m. PT.

Officers discovered a man who had been shot. Attempts were made to revive the victim but he was pronounced dead on scene.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Unit is investigating and the area around the crime scene will be cordoned off for a "significant" amount of time, according to RCMP.

RCMP said they were called to 142 Street and 70a Avenue just before 1:30 a.m. Friday, where they found a 22-year-old victim suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to call the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-4448 or email [email protected] Those who wish to remain anonymous are asked to contact Crime Stoppers.

Police tape was blocking access to a number of homes on 70a Avenue near 142 Street. There is an elementary school and daycare within a block of the shooting.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Surrey RCMP are still on scene of an overnight shooting in the 14200 block of 70A Avenue, going door to door canvassing citizens for information.

When police arrived on scene they found a man dead on the ground outside of a residence. Preliminary information indicates the male had been shot.   The area surrounding the scene remains cordoned off as of Friday morning.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has been called and will be working in partnership with the Surrey RCMP.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) is looking into a fatal shooting in the Newton area of Surrey.

Police responded to reports of gunfire in the area of 142nd Street and 70-A Avenue just before 1:30 a.m. Friday morning.

Sandhu says the RCMP and Surrey School District can only do so much to try and prevent gang violence.

Snow is accumulating in some parts of the Valley Friday morning. Emergency crews have been busy dealing with minor collisions and vehicles in the ditch. This black compact vehicle left the road on Highway 97, southbound, north of the Kelowna International Airport. You can see RCMP are on scene. So far no serious collisions have been reported but tow truck companies will likely be busy.

As of 6 a.m. Friday morning trace amounts of snow have been falling and accumulating in some parts of the Valley.

Temperatures are slightly cooler in the north, with Vernon sitting at minus 1 as of 6 a.m. Friday morning and as much 4 cm of snow could fall today.

In Kelowna wet snow is falling and accumulating on roadways sure to make the morning commute slipperier than usual.

Environment Canada is calling for wet snow beginning this morning and ending this afternoon, with as much as 2 cm and a high of plus 2.

Down south in Penticton, things are slightly warmer at plus 3 more wet snow in the forecast for Friday shifting to rain in the afternoon.

More de-escalation training for Vancouver police is being recommended after a coroner's inquest into the shooting death of a man who was stabbing people on the city's Downtown Eastside.

Police say 26-year-old Abdi Hirsi, who was from Edmonton, was killed during a confrontation with an officer in 2015, after he stabbed three people.

In a statement at the time, the department said officers unsuccessfully tried to arrest the man and fired multiple bean bag rounds in an attempt to control him, then shot him when he started to stab a woman who was taken to hospital in critical condition.

In its inquest verdict, the coroner's jury says the police department should consider better communications training for officers in high-stress situations, and review its existing de-escalation policies.

It recommends mandatory training for officers in the use of at least one less-lethal use-of-force tool beyond what is taught in basic training, and annually reviewing those options.

The inquest jury is also recommending that the BC Ambulance Service review its policy defining the circumstances in which paramedics may determine "obvious death" and not provide medical interventions.

The jury also notes that the chief coroner should hold inquests within one year of an investigation concluding to ensure accuracy of recollections and closure for families.

New Mayor Doug McCallum campaigned on the promise to ditch the RCMP, but "it's an enormous job," Simon Fraser University criminologist Rob Gordon says.

Questions include how many Mounties would move to a new municipal force, and how existing assets would be assigned.

"We probably would get anywhere from 50 to 60 per cent of the officers that are currently in the RCMP in Surrey," he told CTV.

The Justice Institute of British Columbia trains about 100 recruits a year and could expand its training capacity. However, officers would have to be recruited first.

"The issue is replacing experienced police officers – experienced with work in a municipality like Surrey," Gordon said.

Surrey already owns the RCMP buildings in the city, along with hundreds of police cruisers, but they would all need to be rebranded.

Nicolas Karvouniaris is charged with dangerous driving causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm in the Surrey crash, which also injured two others in nurse Sarah Dillon's SUV.

Karvouniaris was allegedly behind the wheel of a 2016 Jeep Cherokee that crossed into oncoming traffic on 88 Avenue, hitting Dhillon's Ford Escape.

Karvouniaris' driving record contains five infractions for speeding, two for driving contrary to restrictions, and one for running a red light.

British Columbia's political leaders clashed in a debate on electoral reform on Thursday, with Premier John Horgan casting proportional representation as modern and even "hip," while Opposition Leader Andrew Wilkinson insisted the system is too confusing.

The politicians often talked over one another during the heated televised discussion on the province's voting referendum, with Horgan in favour of switching to proportional representation and Wilkinson supporting the current first-past-the-post process.

Voters who mark their referendum ballots in favour of proportional representation must rank three possible systems, and Wilkinson accused Horgan of refusing to answer questions and being dishonest with voters about how the systems would work.

Horgan responded that fear of change appeared to be motivating Wilkinson and opponents of proportional representation, saying the system is used successfully in countries around the world.

The debate was frequently chaotic and Horgan quipped at one point that if it was just going to be two men yelling over one another, then people were likely to change the channel to "Wheel of Fortune."

The New Democrats made electoral reform an election promise in 2017, and holding a referendum was a key part of their agreement with the Green party to take power in the legislature.

Vancouver police have issued a public warning about a high-risk offender moving into the city who was at the centre of a high-profile abduction case in 2011.

Hopley has served his entire six-year sentence for breaking into a home in Sparwood in September 2011 and abducting a three-year-old boy only to return him four days later physically unharmed.

Vancouver police say the Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Hopley as a high risk for violent and sexual re-offending.

A federal parole board ruled last year that Hopley should finish his sentence in jail because he was still likely to harm a child, hadn't participated in rehabilitation programing and wouldn't take part in psychological assessments.

Police say Hopley is bound by a 10-year supervision order in an effort to manage his risks and his conditions including not being in the presence of any child under 16 and abiding by a curfew

Hopley is described as five-foot nine-inches tall, 150 pounds, with brown hair, hazel eyes and he often wears a beard.

Brake failure caused one of the RCMP vehicles to hit the other during the pursuit of a stolen pickup on the Island Highway, Wednesday.

Police surrounded the truck when it stopped at a red light, but as another cruiser moved into position, it slammed into the driver's side door of another police car.

The suspect was arrested, and police found a replica Uzi machine gun, ammo, knives and suspected cocaine in the vehicle.

Oscar Ferdinand Arfmann is charged with first-degree murder following the Nov. 6, 2017, gunfight that followed a truck theft from a Mount Lehman Road business.

Const. John Davidson died in hospital that day after he was shot trying to apprehend the shooter. 

A judge has determined that an RCMP officer who was driving at almost 90 km/h over the speed limit shares most of the blame for a crash that destroyed a Calgary family's camper van.

The B.C. Supreme Court decision says Const. Chad Gorman was going 147 km/h in a 60 zone as he responded to a priority call when he crashed into the van in a Langley intersection in July 2014.

The driver of the van, Shiraz Meghji, his three family members and the officer all walked away from the crash in what Justice Bruce Butler says was a miracle.

Butler says in his decision released this week that the officer should take 80 per cent of the blame for the crash because he was travelling at such a high speed.

Twenty per cent of the blame goes to Meghji because he failed to drive through the intersection with sufficient care, although no damage award has been determined.

The judge says Meghji entered the intersection because he didn't see the officers car as being an immediate hazard.

"I have no hesitation in concluding that Const. Gorman breached the standard of care of a reasonable police officer in travelling on the Fraser Highway at 145 km/h on a weekday afternoon through a commercial and residential zone at a speed that was close to 90 km over the speed limit," the judge says, noting the officer passed a number of intersections without slowing.

Butler says the fact that it was a high priority situation doesn't give the officer the privilege of travelling at a speed that creates an unreasonable risk to the public.

A $1-million Maxmillion prize in the Lotto Max lottery still hasn’t sunk in for a Surrey family.

Ram Singh, a business owner who works seven days a week, and his wife Sushil are still absorbing the news since winning the draw on Oct. 5.

“My wife said ‘we won’ and I went blank. It hasn’t hit me yet,” says Singh.

The family says they plan on investing in real estate and will give the rest of the winnings to their children.

“I was thinking if I ever won the lottery I would invest with my kids and get them a townhouse,” said Ram.

The B.C. government has moved to roll back two health sector laws that resulted in the lay offs of thousands of health-care workers under a former provincial Liberal government.

NDP Health Minister Adrian Dix says the government intends to work with employers, unions and health facility operators to implement a new law that will improve job security and rights for health-sector workers.

Dix says the former Liberal government introduced two laws in 2002 and 2003 that led to the layoffs of more than 8,000 workers and allowed care-home operators to cut or avoid unionized labour costs.

He says B.C. needs to introduce laws that protect and attract health workers to ensure an aging population receives consistent, quality care.

The Hospital Employees' Union says in a statement that repealing the laws is a huge move towards restoring justice and fairness for health-care workers and repairing the damage to health care delivery.

The union says the workers fired were mostly women and their jobs, which included hospital cleaning, food services, laundry and other support services, were contracted out.