One dead following altercation in Surrey, B.C. –

One dead following altercation in Surrey, B.C. -
Man killed after altercation in Surrey neighbourhood, homicide investigators say
A man has died following an incident near a gas station in Surrey, B.C., Saturday morning, according to homicide investigators. 

Two men got into an altercation just before 5 a.m. near Fraser Highway and 184 Street, according to the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

A man, 47, was found in medical distress by paramedics, but despite life-saving measures he died at the scene, Surrey RCMP said. Officials have not said what caused his fatal injury.

#BREAKING The @HomicideTeam confirms they are investigating an altercation at a Clayton Heights gas station that left a 47-year-old man dead. A second man is in police custody. Both men were believed to have known each other. This is not believed to be gang related. @NEWS1130

Homicide investigators believe the two men knew each other and say the issue is not be believed to be gang-related. 

“The next thing I know, I come back out about an hour later figuring that they were all gone, and they [had the scene] all taped off and the guy was lying on the ground with a blanket over him,” he says.

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

According to IHIT one man is in custody, and they believe he knew the victim. They say there are no indications that the killing was gang-related, and that there is no risk to public safety.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

Police were called around 4:40 a.m. Saturday, they found the man in distress due to his injuries following the alleged assault.

A man was killed in Surrey early Saturday morning after an altercation with another man who is now in custody, homicide investigators say.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said the incident happened around 4:40 a.m. in the 18300-block of Fraser Highway.

Surrey RCMP said the victim, a 47-year-old man, was found in medical distress outside a coffee shop next to a gas station, but died at the scene despite life-saving measures.

Neighbours say the man lived with his girlfriend in the basement under the coffee shop, and were woken up by a commotion around the time the incident occurred.

Is there more to this story? Wed like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email [email protected]

“I got woken up from yelling and screaming, because I could hear it through my bedroom window,” a man who only gave his first name of Martin said.

#IHIT is the 18300-block of Fraser Hwy, #SurreyBC after an altercation around 4:40am this morning has left a 47yo man dead. A 2nd man is in police custody. We believe the 2 men knew each other and there is no further risk to public safety. Not believed to be gang-related.

The incident occurred in front of an empty storefront next to a Husky service station at the corner of Fraser Highway and 184th Street.

READ MORE: I am going to snap — Surreys top cop lashes out at RCMP critics in awards speech

But neighbours are still concerned, pointing to a targeted shooting that took place exactly two weeks ago — just blocks away outside another gas station on the highway.

B.C. Ambulance paramedics called for support after they found a man in medical distress following an alleged assault

“Twice inside a month, you’ve got two people dead,” Martin said. “It’s scary.”

Homicide police are investigating an incident that left a 47-year-old man dead early Saturday morning in Surrey.

READ MORE: IHIT deployed to fatal targeted shooting in Surrey’s Clayton Heights neighbourhood