Convicted child abductor Randall Peter Hopley is living in Vancouver and police are warning the public that they believe he poses a risk of significant harm to the safety of young boys.
In 2011, the 53-year-old Hopley snatched sleeping three-year-old Kienan Hebert from a second-floor bedroom in Sparwood, B.C. He kept the child for four days before returning him physically unharmed after Hebert’s parents made a public plea.
Hopley, who had previous convictions for abduction of a person under the age of 14, sexual assault, assault and break-and-enters, received a six-year-sentence for the Sparwood abduction.
Vancouver police say the Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Hopley as a high risk for violent and sexual re-offending.
A federal parole board ruled last year that Hopley should finish his sentence in jail because he was still likely to harm a child, hadn’t participated in rehabilitation programing and wouldn’t take part in psychological assessments.
Although he has completed his sentence and has been released, Hopley is bound by a 10-year long-term supervision order.
Hopley, who is 5-foot-9 and 150 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes, must abide by several conditions:
• Not to be in, near or around places where children under the age of 16 are likely to congregate, such as elementary and secondary schools, parks, swimming pools and recreational centres, unless accompanied by an adult previously approved in writing by his parole supervisor.
He is also under a daily curfew, and must be in his residence from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. In addition, hes been prohibited from possessing a firearm and has had to submit a DNA sample to law enforcement officials.
• Not to be in the presence of any children under the age of 16 unless accompanied by a responsible adult who knows his criminal history, and has been previously approved in writing by his parole supervisor.
The location of residential correctional facility that Hopley is staying at was not revealed due to privacy reasons, but VPD spokesperson Const. Jason Doucette says Hopley’s presence in Vancouver should be a Metro Vancouver-wide concern.
“We want everyone to have a look at his photo, familiarize yourself with him and if you see him in violation of any of these conditions, call 911 immediately,” Doucette said.
Doucette says the VPD’s high risk offender unit will be keeping a close eye on Hopley and the public may see increased uniform presence in the area where he is staying.
Hampton says no further information will be released now that an arrest has been made but police want to speak to any other witnesses, including the unidentified SkyTrain passenger who pulled the suspect away from one of the victims while the assault was underway.
“We will be taking steps to monitor his activities, to work with him and to set him up for success. But at the same time we are arming the public with enough information that we want you to know — who he is and what he has done in the past. If he is violating any of these conditions, we want to hear from you … we want 911 called,” he said.
The Parole Board decision dated Oct. 25 says Hopley refused to take part in a psychological risk assessment, and he remains a high risk for sexual contact with “pre-pubescent children, mostly male between the ages of four and 10.”
“You appear to have little understanding of your offence cycle and do not demonstrate the ability to manage your own risk,” it says.
His sentence expires Nov. 12. The board ordered the 10-year supervision order be maintained. He remains under a lifetime firearms prohibition.
Hopley was also designated a long-term offender after various courts heard that he sexually assaulted young children while living in a foster home as a teen.
Vancouver Police have issued a warning to the public that a high-risk federal offender is residing in the city, and may be of risk to the safety of young boys.
Randall Peter Hopley, 53, has previously been convicted of abduction of a person under the age of 14, sexual assault, assault, and break-and-enters, note the VPD. In 2013, Hopley received a six year sentence for abducting a three-year-old boy from his home in the early hours of September 7, 2011, in Sparwood, B.C.
The Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Hopley as a high risk for violent and sexual re-offending. While he has fully completed his sentence and has been released, Hopley is bound by a 10-year long-term supervision order to help manage his risk factors.
Hopley is described as a white male, 59, 150 lbs., with brown hair and hazel eyes. He often has a beard.