East-side fire sends one person to hospital

East-side fire sends one person to hospital
Early morning fire sends one person to hospital
Unattended cooking caused a house fire that resulted in $340,000 in damages in the city’s east end early Sunday morning.

After escaping from the burning duplex at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd. around 2 a.m., the homeowner went back in to retrieve a dog, according to Windsor Fire and Rescue. The homeowner was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and remains in critical condition.

“As soon as I peaked my head out from my place, all I saw was a blanket of smoke filling the road,” said Boyce, who heard shouting outside. “It was an intense night.”

Crews extinguished the fire quickly, Boyce said. He said all occupants had evacuated the building before the fire trucks arrived.

Damages are estimated at $200,000 to the structure, $100,000 to contents, and $40,000 from exposure to the adjacent unit. Three people were displaced.

A house fire in the 1400-block of Pillette Rd. on November 25, 2018 (Photo courtesy of Joel Boyce via Facebook)

The owner of the house was sent to hospital with smoke inhalation after re-entering the house to retrieve a dog. That person remains in critical condition.

Damage is pegged at $200,000 to the home, $100,000 for contents and $40,000 damage to the adjacent home.