UPDATED: Homeowner critical after returning to burning house to get dog

UPDATED: Homeowner critical after returning to burning house to get dog
One critical following overnight house fire
Dave O'Niel, fire prevention officer with Windsor Fire and Rescue, and Jason Williams, investigator for the Office of the Fire Marshal, investigate the scene of a house fire at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd., Sunday, November 25, 2018. Dax Melmer / WINwp

Unattended cooking caused a house fire that resulted in $340,000 in damages in the city’s east end early Sunday morning.

One person is in critical condition with smoke inhalation after a fire in the 1400 block of Pillette around 2am Sunday.

After escaping from the burning duplex at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd. around 2 a.m., the homeowner went back in to retrieve a dog, according to Windsor Fire and Rescue. The homeowner was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and remains in critical condition.

Woman hospitalized after she re-entered home to rescue dog from fire

“As soon as I peaked my head out from my place, all I saw was a blanket of smoke filling the road,” said Boyce, who heard shouting outside. “It was an intense night.”

Crews extinguished the fire quickly, Boyce said. He said all occupants had evacuated the building before the fire trucks arrived.

"If there is a fire detected in your dwelling, do not re-enter the — whatever the structure may be — after the fire has been discovered. Evacuate and wait for the arrival of emergency services," Williams said. 

Damages are estimated at $200,000 to the structure, $100,000 to contents, and $40,000 from exposure to the adjacent unit. Three people were displaced.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

The scene of a house fire at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd. thats being investigated by the Office of the Fire Marshal, is pictured Sunday, November 25, 2018. Dax Melmer / WINwp

WINDSOR, ONT:. NOVEMBER 25, 2018 — Dave ONiel, fire prevention officer with Windsor Fire and Rescue, investigates the scene of a house fire at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd., Sunday, November 25, 2018. Dax Melmer / WINwp

Now, investigators are working to determine if there were any working smoke alarms in the house at the time of the fire. 

The scene of a house fire at 1415/1417 Pillette Rd. thats being investigated by the Office of the Fire Marshal, is pictured Sunday, November 25, 2018. Dax Melmer / WINwp

Windsor Fire and Police responded to multiple 911 calls in relation to the fire just before 2 a.m. Sunday morning. 

Windsor Fire and Rescue said they were called around 2 a.m. to a home on Pillette Rd. near Metcalfe St. on a report of a house fire.

The homeowner, who had initially escaped the house safely, went back in to retrieve a pet and suffered severe smoke inhalation. He remains in critical condition at Windsor Regional Hospital Metropolitan campus.

An investigator from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office was at the scene Sunday morning. It was determined that the fire was started by unattended cooking. Damage is estimated at $200,000 for the structure, $100,000 for contents, and $40,000 exposure to the unit next door.

Pillette fire, kitchen fire caused by unattended cooking, owner reentered home to retrieve a dog, damage 200k structure 100k contents, 40k exposure to adjacent unit. Owner still in critical condition, smoke inhalation. *JL