McArthur, 66, is currently facing seven counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of several men who disappeared from Torontos LGBTQ neighbourhood between 2010 and 2017.
Last week, investigators said they had identified a deceased man in a photo they had released last month. Police said at the time believed the man was one of McArthurs victims and requested the publics help in learning who he was.
Investigators did not release the mans name last week, because they still had not been able to notify his next of kin. They may release his name Monday and announce whether further charges will be laid.
Police said it was rare for them to release a photo of a potential victim, but they said good feedback from the public – including more than 500 tips — helped them identify the man.
Investigators initially released a digitally altered photograph of the unknown man on March 5. A month later, they released a second image created by a forensic sketch artist and distributed it internationally. Within days, they announced they had made an ID.
Did you capture some amazing images or video? Share it with CTV News and it could appear online or on-air!
Toronto police will provide another update into the ongoing investigation into alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.
Last week, police added a seventh charge of first-degree murder in the death of 42-year-old Abdulbasir Faizi, who disappeared from Toronto’s gay village in 2010.
Torontos Police Department has come under fire from local LGBT+ activists who believe authorities have failed in their quest to identity McArthur quickly, leading the force to cancel its application to march at the citys Pride parade.
On Friday, police announced that a man believed to be another victim of McArthur had been identified.
In early March, police released a photograph of a dead man believed to be another one of the McArthurs alleged victims, saying they needed help identifying the bearded middle-aged individual.
Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga said at the time that releasing the photo was a last resort. Investigators did not say when the photograph was taken or how investigators found it.
McArthur was arrested in January and charged with the murders of Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, who went missing from the village in 2017. Later that month, McArthur was charged with the murders of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick. In February, he was charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam.
At least seven sets of remains, including Faizis, have been recovered from planters located at a Toronto home where McArthur once worked as a landscaper, police have said.
Timeline of key events in the case of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur
Weve sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.