Toronto police identify eighth alleged victim of accused serial killer Bruce McArthur

A timeline of key events in the case of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur based on information released by Toronto police:

September 2010 — Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40, disappears from Torontos gay village.

Dec. 29, 2010 — Abdulbasir Faizi, 42, is reported missing to Peel Regional Police, west of Toronto. He was last seen in Torontos gay village.

Police initially released a digitally altered photograph of an unknown deceased man in early March. A month later, they released an image created by a forensic sketch artist and distributed that internationally. Within days, they announced they had made an ID.

Bruce McArthur, Alleged Toronto Serial Killer, Charged With 8th Count Of Murder

November 2012 — Police launch Project Houston to investigate the disappearances of Faizi, Navaratnam and Kayhan.

Kanagaratnams remains were recovered from garden planters at a home in central Toronto where McArthur kept his landscaping equipment. They had previously identified the remains of seven other victims in those planters.

April 2014 — Police close Project Houston, saying none of their findings would classify anyone as a suspect of a criminal offence.

Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with an eighth count of first-degree murder, with Toronto police saying an international agency helped them identify the new victim.

May 2016 – July 2017 — Police believe Dean Lisowick, 43 or 44, of no fixed address, was killed by McArthur during this time span.

The identification was confirmed with the assistance from an international government agency, he said without giving further details.

Bruce McArthur charged with 8th murder count

August 2017 — Police launch Project Prism to investigate the disappearances of Esen and Kinsman.

Idsinga said they had no evidence that Kanagaratnam had any links to the citys LGBTQ neighbourhood, unlike all seven other victims.

September 2017 — Project Prism officers identify McArthur "as someone to be included or excluded as being involved in the disappearance of Andrew Kinsman."

Kanagaratnam arrived in Canada in 2010 from Sri Lanka. He had no direct family in Canada and was never reported as missing.

Dec. 8, 2017 — Police Chief Mark Saunders says the force will review its practices in missing persons investigations. He denies that there is evidence suggesting a serial killer is walking the streets of Toronto.

Did you capture some amazing images or video? Share it with CTV News and it could appear online or on-air!

Jan. 17, 2018 — Police uncover evidence suggesting McArthur was responsible for both Kinsman and Esens deaths, along with the deaths of other unidentified people.

Lead investigator Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga announced Monday at a news briefing that the latest victims name was Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, 37. Kanagaratnam was killed sometime between Sept. 3 and Dec. 14 2015, but Idsinga would not elaborate on what brought them to that conclusion.

Jan. 18, 2018 — McArthur is arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Esen and Kinsman. Police say McArthur is believed to be responsible for other deaths.

Police initially released a digitally altered photograph of an unknown deceased man in early March. A month later, they released an image created by a forensic sketch artist and distributed that internationally. Within days, they announced they had made an ID.

Jan. 29, 2018 — McArthur is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Mahmudi, Kayhan and Lisowick. Police call McArthur an alleged serial killer and say more victims may be identified.

Kanagaratnams remains were recovered from garden planters at a home in central Toronto where McArthur kept his landscaping equipment. They had previously identified the remains of seven other victims in those planters.

Feb. 8, 2018 — Police say theyve recovered the remains of six people from planters at a house where McArthur worked as a landscaper, and say they expect more charges.

Feb. 13, 2018 — Police say excavation at the homes backyard turned up no human remains, but suggest they may "revisit the scene" when the weather warms up.

The identification was confirmed with the assistance from an international government agency, he said without giving further details.

Feb. 23, 2018 — Police lay a sixth charge of first-degree murder against McArthur, identify Navaratnam as one of the alleged victims whose remains were found in the planters.

Idsinga said they had no evidence that Kanagaratnam had any links to the citys LGBTQ neighbourhood, unlike all seven other victims.

March 5, 2018 — Police say theyve recovered the remains of a seventh person linked to McArthur.

April 11, 2018 — Police lay a seventh murder charge against McArthur in Faizis death.

April 16, 2018 — Police lay an eighth murder charge against McArthur in the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, who came to Canada from Sri Lanka and was not reported missing.

Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur has now been charged with an eighth count of first-degree murder in connection with the death of a Scarborough man who police believe was killed in 2015.

Did you capture some amazing images or video? Share it with CTV News and it could appear online or on-air!

TORONTO — Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with an eighth count of first-degree murder.

Police have identified the alleged victim as Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam.

Investigators released the photograph of the man on March 5 and asked for the publics help in identifying him.

The sprawling investigation into McArthur is now probing cold cases that go as far back as 1975.

Police say they plan to search at least 70 more properties where they believe the 66-year-old self-employed landscaper has worked.

Most of the victims went missing from or had ties to the citys gay village.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World at Twitter: