46 charges laid after Rocky Mountain House RCMP bear sprayed, assaulted during arrest

46 charges laid after Rocky Mountain House RCMP bear sprayed, assaulted during arrest
Man charged after Rocky Mountain House Mountie assaulted, bear-sprayed
A 22-year-old man faces more than 30 assault, theft and fraud charges after a Rocky Mountain House RCMP officer was bear-sprayed during an arrest last week.

During a robbery on Oct. 24 a suspect stole several bottles of booze from a Great Canadian Liquor store and fled the scene in a stolen Chevrolet Colorado pickup.

The Albertan, of no fixed address, faces nearly four dozen charges. The list, in part, includes four counts of possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000; five counts of possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000; three counts of possession of weapon for dangerous purpose; breaking and entering with intent; identity fraud, five counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm; assaulting a peace officer; and resisting arrest.

The same stolen pickup was pulled over three days later during a traffic stop in the Creekside neighbourhood.

According to Rocky Mountain House RCMP, a man stole several bottles of liquor from the Great Canadian Liquor store and fled in a stolen Chevrolet Colorado truck.

Two suspects at the scene resisted arrest and during an altercation the arresting officer was bear-sprayed, police said in a news release on Wednesday.

The pickup was again spotted by police on Oct. 29, on the Sunchild First Nation west of Rocky Mountain House.

According to police, one of the two suspects sprayed the officer. Both fled the scene, with one driving the stolen pickup truck.

Police chased a suspect on foot. The man resisted arrest and assaulted an officer before being taken into custody, RCMP said.

At the time of his arrest, Christopher Wickins-Pearse, 22, was wanted on arrest warrants out of other jurisdictions.

After his arrest, the accused provided a false name to investigators. He was also wanted on arrest warrants in other jurisdictions.

An Alberta man faces 46 charges for, among other things, theft and assaulting an RCMP officer with bear spray.

The accused now faces a string of charges, including assaulting a peace officer with a weapon, assaulting a peace officer causing bodily harm and identity fraud.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

A man known to central Alberta RCMP is facing dozens of new charges connected with alleged assaults on officers during arrest attempts.

It started on Oct. 24 in Rocky Mountain House, where police said a man reportedly robbed the Great Canadian Liquor store of several bottles of liquor and fled in a stolen Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck.

Three days later, an officer pulled over the same truck in the town’s Creekside neighbourhood. Two suspects were inside the vehicle, both of whom RCMP said resisted arrest.

Two days later, police tracked down one of the suspects. On Monday, a Rocky Mountain House RCMP officer spotted the Chevrolet Colorado on the Sunchild First Nation and watched as a man exited the truck.

The officer chased the suspect on foot, following him inside a home. Police said the man resisted being arrested again and assaulted the RCMP officer. Eventually, police got the man under control, but the man continued to be difficult by giving police a fake name after his arrest, RCMP said.

READ MORE: Mountie fires gun at reportedly stolen vehicle on First Nation, Alberta police watchdog probe ensues

Police laid 46 charges against 22-year-old Christopher Wickins-Pearse, of no fixed address. They are:

Police said Wickins-Pearse will remain in custody until his first court appearance in Rocky Mountain House on Nov. 7.

The Rocky Mountain House RCMP said it works to disrupt criminal activity in the western Alberta town, as well as the surrounding Clearwater County area, and on the Sunchild, O’Chiese, and Bighorn First Nations.

“The Rocky Mountain House RCMP Detachment will relentlessly continue to identify and pursue multi-jurisdictional repeat offenders and ensure they are brought to Justice,” Sgt. Jay Penner said.

Police said the second suspect has not been identified and the investigation remains ongoing. Anyone with any information is requested to contact the Rocky Mountain House RCMP.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.