Fly Jamaica flight to Toronto crash lands at airport in Guyana

Fly Jamaica flight to Toronto crash lands at airport in Guyana
Toronto-bound Fly Jamaica flight makes crash-landing in Guyana
Six people were injured after a Fly Jamaica plane on a flight from Guyana to Toronto crash landed overnight at Guyana's Cheddi Jagan International Airport. 

Flight OJ256 left from Cheddi Jagan International Airport, near the Guyanese capital of Georgetown, with 120 passengers — including two infants — and eight crew aboard shortly after 1 a.m. ET. 

Eighty-two of the passengers are Canadian citizens, according to local media reports that cited David Patterson, Guyana's minister of public infrastructure. 

About 11 minutes into the flight, the pilot indicated the Boeing 757 was experiencing problems with its hydraulic system, Guyana officials said at a Friday morning news conference. The aircraft returned to Cheddi Jagan, where it crash landed, eventually leaving the runway. 

“We can confirm that Fly Jamaica flight OJ256 bound for Toronto has returned to Georgetown with a technical problem and has suffered an accident on landing,” the airline said.

Images posted on the airport's Facebook page show the plane appearing to have gone through a chainlink fence, with one of its engines tilted upward and resting on the fencing. An emergency inflatable slide had been deployed from one of the front doors.

Rabina Roopnarine awoke to a call from her mother, Bebe Ali, who was among those on the plane. Ali, a resident of Toronto, flew to Georgetown two weeks ago for her brother's funeral. She was supposed to land at Pearson International Airport at 7 a.m. ET. Friday.

Ali used a flight attendant's cellphone to contact her daughter from the hospital shortly after the crash landing. Roopnarine said she was told the plane was filled with smoke and passengers were trying to force their way off.

Local police have cordoned off part of the airport and an investigation into the circumstances of the incident is underway, according to officials. A representative from the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is expected to assist in the probe. 

“They are all stable and are being looked at. There were no reports of broken bones,” Patterson told a news briefing at the airport.

Patterson is expected to provide an update on the incident at 9 a.m. The airport has also set up a hotline for family members looking for assistance and information.

After departing at 2:10 am, the pilot reported a problem with the hydraulic system 10 minutes into the flight.

It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.

The flight returned to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport in Georgetown minutes after taking off for Canada due to a technical problem, the airline said.

She said that her mother told her that the plane was in the air for about 45 minutes when it suddenly turned around and headed back to the airport. She said that after the plane landed the occupants had to disembark using a emergency slide. The womans mother was taken to hospital but is expected to be fine.

She is in the hospital. She is complaining of her back and head hurting her and her blood pressure is really high. But she said everything is OK and she is OK, Rabina Reopnarine said. She just wants to come home.

This image posted to the Facebook page of the Cheddi Jagan International Airport shows a Fly Jamaica planed involved in a crash landing at the airport. (Facebook)