Man trapped for days after truck crash found by chance

Man trapped for days after truck crash found by chance
Vancouver Island man survived for days in crushed vehicle
A young Vancouver Island man, who was reported missing by the RCMP last Wednesday, survived a more than week in a smashed up truck. Duncan Moffat, 23, was airlifted to hospital in Victoria Tuesday for treatment of serious injuries, including a broken leg and dehydration. Facebook

A young Vancouver Island man who had been reported missing to RCMP on Nov. 7 survived more than week in a smashed-up truck.

Duncan Moffat, 23, was flown to hospital in Victoria on Tuesday for treatment of serious injuries, including a broken leg and dehydration.

His mother, Lynn Macnab, declined to be interviewed as she was busy at the hospital where Moffat was being treated in the intensive care unit, but said it has been quite an ordeal for her son after being trapped in his truck for so many days.

According to a Facebook page set up to help find Moffat, he was found Tuesday by a hunter in the Sayward area, north of Campbell River. The post said Moffat was found with a broken leg and that he was dehydrated and disoriented.

An RCMP report said Moffat was last seen at 11:30 p.m. on Nov. 3, leaving his fathers house in Sayward, driving a 2005 four-door gold Dodge Ram truck.

The cellphone he was carrying hadnt made any calls or texts since Nov. 4, and he hadnt logged on to any of his social media accounts. A missing person’s report was filed with the RCMP on Nov. 7.

A Campbell River man believed to have survived several days in his smashed-up truck after it rolled down an embankment near Sayward is recovering in hospital.

Duncan Moffat was dehydrated, cold and disoriented and had a broken femur when he was found Tuesday in his gold Dodge Ram, which had plunged 12 to 15 metres down an embankment off Highway 19.

A hunter saw the truck nestled in the trees about 10 kilometres south of Sayward, said Sayward RCMP Cpl. Kim Graham.

With no cellphone service in the area, the hunter flagged down a vehicle and the driver went to a spot where 911 could be called. Police and paramedics arrived on scene just after 1:50 p.m.

Moffat was reported missing on Nov. 7, three days after he left his fathers home in Campbell River.

Moffats father, Glen, saw the ambulance heading toward the scene and something told him to follow it, said Moffats uncle, Bill McNab.

Glen saw the gold truck and watched from the road as his son was rescued and hauled up the steep embankment on a stretcher. He called family members to let them know that Moffat was alive.

McNab said he sends his sincere gratitude to the hunter and to the first responders who worked tirelessly to rescue his nephew.

Moffat couldnt tell first responders how long he had been in the vehicle or how he lost control, but he later told family he believed he was in the truck for five days, Graham said.

Moffat told his family he found some Gatorade and a bag of apples in the truck, which kept him hydrated as he waited for someone to come.

He was scheduled to undergo surgery on his leg Wednesday, McNab said, and also has internal injuries that doctors are closely monitoring.